I hijacked this year-end meme from SK's blog (good on you, baby, you're a real blogger now, with your fancy meme!) and so, here it is. My 2006 year in meme-review:
1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
Wrote a complete first draft of a very bad novel. Finished law school.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I can't remember if I made any last year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth or adopt?
My upstairs people had their baby in the spring.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yeah, my grandmother. In december. :-(
5. What countries did you visit?
Only this one...
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A new identity.
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 15th anniversary with SK. December 13th, grandmother died. The rest is just an undifferentiated blur.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
I wasted my summer.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was sick most of last week. Otherwise, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?.
Keen hiking sandals this summer and some new Keen shoes just yesterday. They're awesome.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
SK's behavior frequently merited celebration. Waspy should be celebrated for passing the bar. My mom should be celebrated for settling a very old lawsuit. Fat Tony should be celebrated for having one of his one-act plays produced.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I'm copying SK's answer to this one because it really sums things up: "Where to begin? The US government, credit card companies, HMO's, dictators globally, fascists, racists, homophobes, misogynists, fur-wearers, anti-semites, islamophobes, one sided attitudes…"
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. By far.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Yachats, becoming atheletic this summer with my Keen sandals and forest park with SK, seeing Adrienne Rich my favorite poet of all time this spring, SK coming back from Australia, writing a Nano novel, finishing school and, of course, Jack the Gripper.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
"There's so much water so close to home..." with SK singing.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? thinner, especially after my recent sickness
c) richer or poorer? hard to say, really.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I'd been a better student. I wish I'd done pro bono work this summer. And I wish I'd written more.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Staring at the computer.
20. How did you spend New Years?
Watching movies in SK's bed. And eating burritos.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
22. How many one-night stands?
Zero. Those are gross.
23. What was your favorite TV program?.
I mostly don't watch tv, but at SK's I enjoyed The Daily Show, until she lost her free cable...
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is harsh.
25. What was the best book you read?
Hard to name a "best" -- I just read a really important book about Islam called "No god but God" that I totally recommend. I also loved "For Whom the Bell Tolls" this summer -- it's what first made me want to go to Spain.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don't follow the music much these days, though SK made me some great cds of girl singers whose names I can't remember.
27. What did you want and get?
I wanted a good place to live and I got it.
28. What did you want and not get?
Again, I must steal SK's answer: "Did not win the lottery. Yet."
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 32. I went to a bar with random people and realized my days of drinking in bars and enjoying it are almost totally over.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having to work until midnight 4 nights a week. Being able to see SK more.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
I look homeless.
33. What kept you sane?
Sometimes meditation. Sometimes reading. Sometimes the blankness and availability of the internet.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
The mini-war between Israel and Hezbollah.
36. Who did you miss?
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I met Adrienne Rich and that was pretty awesome (if getting an autograph counts as "meeting") -- I also really loved my professor Eagle Eye Goldberg this year, even though I didn't officially "meet" her this year, I felt like I did because my experience of her in the seminar I took was so different from my experience of her in the other class she taught. She moved me.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:
Sometimes you just have to suck it up, shut up, quit whining and don't expect a medal for anything.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I can't quote a song lyric that sums up my year. Sorry.