Thursday, January 05, 2006

hot-lanta

Atlanta, Georgia. My friend, D.L., picked me up from the airport at noon and we went to lunch. D.L. and I were in undergrad together in North Carolina in the 90’s and it is my good fortune that she has chosen to settle in Atlanta, where I'm able to see her when I fly down to visit family.

We ate fabulous turkey burgers and then found a bar and had a couple of early afternoon beers. D.L. just got an incredible new job as the Executive Director of a PAC in Georgia -- something to do with Civil Liberties or Civil Rights. Something good. We laughed over beers about how, suddenly, we’re grown-ups. I’m still in school and thereby get to extend my adolescence a little longer, but because it’s *law* school, I get extra grown-up points. D.L. is really there, though. One-hundred percent grown up, at least job-wise. In fact, as we speak, she’s at a fancy cocktail party shmoozing with legislators. All part of the new job, which is to raise money for the PAC. Amazing.

After our beers we went back to her house for a “power nap” which did not involve sleeping. We lay side by side in her bed and watched VH-1’s “Top 100 Hottest Hotties” Countdown and talked about which celebrities we might like to fuck, etc. After about an hour, the alarm blared and D.L. popped out of bed and disappeared. She left the room in a t-shirt and pajama bottoms, with disheveled hair and sleepy eyes. She could’ve been the 18 year old I first met in ‘93. But, when she emerged from the bathroom a few minutes later in a hot little skirt-suit and heels, the sleepy undergrad was gone, replaced by an ultra-sexy, Fortune 500 CEO. I could hardly stand to look at her she was so powerfully gorgeous.

I stumbled over my compliments and she told me to stop making fun of her. I was babbling, I guess. Stunned the opposite of speechless. Stunned inarticulate. I decided to shut up and just appreciate her. My friend. So awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home