Saturday, June 17, 2006

smoothly sailing into pride weekend with my girl

Ok. After that lonely Thursday night, things were quickly put back on track with SK. Such a lovely day yesterday, I don't even know where to begin. I'll stick with my current theme (Alison Bechdel) and share that SK went back to Powell's and bought me an autographed copy of her memoir "Fun Home" as an apology gift, however, I don't want to think of it as an apology gift, I want to think of it as something super sweet that I'll treasure.

We ended up spending the whole gorgeous day together doing a variety of odds and ends -- I brought over some homemade chicken soup and SK made avacado quesadillas to go with it and we sat out in her tiny garden during one fifteen minute burst of sun and ate. That was pretty lovely. Then we drove out to my campus so I could drop off my fall registration (somewhat late). I gave SK a brief tour of my campus, which is gorgeous and abuts the Tryon Creek State Park, thank god, so while we're all struggling mightily with law school, we can at least get a little solace from the forest view out all the windows.

Our walk through campus was sunny and hot, so we decided to go get ice cream, however, our drive to the gelato place back in SK's neighborhood was dark and perilous through driving rain. Amazing. We parked on NW 23rd and sat in the car a few minutes, finishing up some intense conversation, and by the time we were done, the sun was back out again. Gelato was bought and consumed (gelato is sooooo good) and then we decided to pick up some groceries and pop across the river to cut a head of lettuce out of my tiny little garden out back. My tiny garden is really flourishing and that lettuce is the first thing this season we've been able to eat from it. Yay!

Then we went back to her place, looked through old photos from her old days in India, Nepal and Australia -- photos which she found in storage at a friend's in Australia when she was there this spring and which she packed up and sent via sea mail (sea mail!) and which just arrived last week. Photos she hasn't seen in almost ten years. Exciting. After that, we took a lovely hike through forest park, then came home and she whipped us up some tasty baked, marinated tofu and veggies and we watched a few episodes from the second season of The L Word to prepare us for pride weekend. Fun times.

We watched the two episodes I thought were my favorites (the episode where they go on the Olivia cruise, and the one that follows, where they go to LA pride) -- and I was slightly disappointed to realize those episodes weren't as great as I remembred... I think they always seemed a tiny bit more exiciting because I was watching them in a dyke bar surrounded by tons and tons of other women and the enthusiasm of the entire pack was pretty hypnotic. Seeing it on a small screen with but one other person packed less of collective wallop and, instead, I often heard the cavernous silence that spells disinterest, like the sounds of crickets in a quiet theater. Hmm.

Then we went to bed. :-)

Tonight is the dyke march, which we will attend for the people watching. And tomorrow is the real parade, which we will also attend for the people watching. Hopefully the weather will get better, but we'll see. It's nice to feel happy for a change. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home