Tuesday, August 08, 2006

corpse flower?

Weird news always interests me, so of course I checked out the Yahoo headline I saw just now announcing the blooming of a corpse flower in Virginia. Known for its thick fragrance of rotting corpses, the flower blooms just once in ten or so years. I clicked on the link and saw the picture and holy shit, I don't know what the thing really smells like, but it *looks* phenomenal. The flower itself is about three feet tall and has the appearance of a huge, cream-colored penis coming out of an even huger, red, feathery vagina. Unbelievable. And I'm not the only one noticing this resemblence, the flower's latin name is amorphophallus titanum, which looks to the untrained eye like it might mean something like "titanic phallus." It's pretty incredible.

Here is a link to some pictures of ye olde corpse flower. www.geocities.com/hillcrestseptember2002/corpseplant.html This isn't the flower that's currently blooming in Virginia, these are much better pics of a flower that apparently bloomed in 2002. I don't know whose family web-site these were taken from, but the pics are really good. Hope it works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home