Friday, August 04, 2006

meme's are usually beyond me

If you're reading this blog, then you probably know what a "meme" is. Unless you're SK, in which case, here's the definition of "meme," from Wikipedia: "The term "meme" (IPA: [miːm], not "mem"), coined in 1976 by Richard Dawkins, refers to a replicator of cultural information that one mind transmits (verbally or by demonstration) to another mind. Dawkins said, Examples of memes are tunes, catch-phrases, clothes fashions, ways of making pots or of building arches. Other examples include deities, concepts, ideas, theories, opinions, beliefs, practices, habits, dances and moods which propagate within a culture. A meme propagates itself as a unit of cultural evolution analogous in many ways to the gene (the unit of genetic information). Often memes propagate as more-or-less integrated cooperative sets or groups, referred to as memeplexes or meme-complexes."

For some reason, these weird questionnaires that get passed around online are called "memes" and since I'm not *really* a computer nerd, I usually don't know about things like memes. In fact, I still don't know how to make links on my blog or post pictures, so I'm pretty pathetic. But, today, I saw this book meme on Andygrrls site and decided to do it on my blog too, b/c I love books. So here it is.

1. One book that changed your life: a spiritual book was Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda, which taught me fascinating things about India, Hinduism, meditation and the nature of reality. Literature was On the Road, by Jack Kerouac. Maybe cliche, but I can't help it. I read it at 15 and it literally changed my life, opened up my world, inspired an urge to travel, to write, to experience.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: To Kill a Mockingbird. It's my favorite book and I've read it over and over.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: The Tao Te Ching, preferably the copy I carried in my back pocket for years. A good book to study slowly over long periods.

4. One book that made you laugh: Portnoy's Complaint, Philip Roth. It made me laugh, blush and a few other things I'll refrain from sharing.

5. One book that made you cry: just one?? So many books make me cry. Stone Butch Blues made me cry a lot, a long time ago. It's poorly written, but the subject matter is pretty heart-wrenching and personal.

6. One book that you wish had been written: I don't think I understand this question. A book I *wish* had been written? So is that a book that doesn't exist, that I *wish* existed? If that's the case, I wish SK's books had been written. She's got these ideas, this heart, this incredible spirit -- and I would really want to read those books she dreams of writing...

7. One book that you wish had never been written: This is tough, b/c I love books and value expression, but two books spring immediately to mind: Mein Kompf and Malleaus Mallefecarum (pardon misspellings) -- books that perpetuate hate, misunderstanding and violence.

8. One book you’re currently reading: For Whom the Bell Tolls, because I'm in the midst of a late-blooming affair with Papa Hemingway.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: Perhaps in the same vein, I feel like I should read both Don Quixote and Confederacy of Dunces. Among about 1,000 others.

10. Now tag five people: I hate tags. Just do it if you love books and you feel like it.

2 Comments:

Blogger stumptown dreamer said...

"replicator of cultural information"... i guess these questionnaires are ways of passing cultural information from one mind to another.... took me two or three reads of the definition to 'get' how the question-answer format is like building an arch, sharing a tune etc....
nice...

12:56 PM  
Blogger Andygrrl said...

I considered answering Mein Kampf and Malleus Mallificarum too, but I had such a visceral reaction to American Psycho that I had to mention it.

And I think everyone should read On the Road at 15; I did as well!

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home