Thursday, February 22, 2007

really whole now

Whole Foods is going to buy Wild Oats. I'm glad. I have worked for both companies and I found Whole Foods to be better in lots of ways. It was a better place to work with better benefits and a better attitude towards its employees. And it has higher quality standards, not selling *any* foods with artificial ingredients or even hydrogenated oil.

Around here we call it Whole Paycheck, for obvious reasons, and that's the biggest drawback. It's not just pricey, but pretentious too. I was lucky to work in a store that had, for twenty years, been a locally owned natural foods market called Wellspring in Durham North Carolina. It had only just recently been acquired by Whole Foods and the attitude and culture hadn't changed a whole lot yet. The new store here in Portland, however, is too downtown-chic for me and I can hardly stand to shop there.

Despite it all, I'm still glad Whole Foods finally devoured Wild Oats. Now the Wild Oats at the end of my street, the only place I shop anymore because I can walk there, will magically turn into a Whole Foods and I'll have access to all those Whole-Foody foods I haven't been getting since I left Durham in 2001. Hello 365 Brand! You are cheap and tasty!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! As long as they don't jack up the price of Luna Bars, I'm perfectly fine with the whole thing.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aside from being expensive, the Whole Foods here is obscenely huge and impossible to navigate. I guess it's shopping locally, but it doesn't really feel like it. I'm going to miss the cheap, dinky Sun Harvest (Wild Oats subsidiary), which I'm pretty sure they'll just close.

12:35 AM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

joolie -- yeah, the one downtown here is pretty huge too (although, i understand everything is bigger in texas), and i hadn't considered the possibility that they might just close the little wild oats where i shop. i doubt they will, b/c it does good business and it's in a really gorgeous building, though much smaller than the new whole foods buildings. personally, i'd prefer one of the 5-million locally owned stores and coops were two blocks away, then i'd shop there. but i choose wild oats over driving to shop. these are the kind of eithical dilemmas we have these days.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whole Foods is one of the many things I miss from living in Chicago. 365 Brand is good stuff.
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I heard that story on NPR about ear tubes also and linked to it for anyone that might want to know more about them.
I took a picture of our son and marked a tube hanging out of his ear, then sent it out to friends and loved one. About 70% of the folks replied, asking if those things hanging out of his ears were driving him crazy. Then I had to explain.
Yep, I'm silly.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

> It's not just pricey, but
> pretentious too.

This makes it perfect for Portland, a city which is plenty pretentious itself.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home