Wednesday, July 16, 2008

and now for... the REST of the story!

**Yes, both my blogs have the same title today. Happy coincidence.**

While it is true that the five day kayaking trip was fun, I have to admit that there were significant portions of the experience that sucked.

I predicted, actually, that there would be conflict on this trip the likes of which our group had not yet seen. It was palpable the night before trip when we met at J's to load up the boats and gear so we could get a smooth start early the next morning. There was just something in the air, some tension, some snappishness.

I was standing off to the side watching the proceedings when my current favorite kayaking friend, Holly, came over to say hi. I made my prediction then that there would be major conflict on this trip. Holly's girlfriend Reg joined our little huddle and we all put bets on how long it would take for the conflict to erupt and who the major players would be.

Turns out none of us had it all right, but the basic idea was totally on target. K.O., the so-called "activities coordinator" of the group, became increasingly bossy and shrill as the trip wore on. There's no point in recreating all the annoying moments for you. Suffice it to say, most of us got really tired of being screamed at on the water for five days. Screaming at your adult friends is really unacceptable. You will find yourself alienated, and fast.

It wasn't just her, though. By the end of it, I was annoyed with almost every one of the women on the trip and I could not WAIT to get off the water and away from them. A few made it out unscathed. But the rest...?

So I think I'm ready to take a break from my kayaking group. The real hint from the universe came yesterday when my little pewter kayak fell off my keychain. The kayak was a gift from a member of the group to everyone and I immediately put it on my work keychain so I could always think of the good times while I was slaving away at my job. Yesterday I reached into my pocket to pull out my keys, and the little kayak fell off and clanged on the ground. I took that as a sign that it's time to take a break from my group.

I have loved those women like family, and I'm sure it isn't totally over, I just need some space. Maybe I can find some new friends who like to kayak...

3 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

hope a little break helps out!

i really would like to kayak sometime, but every time i see an event the renting fees are at least $40...a little steep for me at the moment. someday..

8:09 AM  
Blogger stumptown dreamer said...

oh wow.... the little pewter kayak... that sense before the trip started that conflict would be in the air....was there an actual conflict or just that wearisome feeling of 'this person is bugging the shit out of me?'....
also of course wondering what you sensed that morning before it all began... what was around.... maybe KO not so happy being group leader? getting stuck in a role never much fun.... anyway, hope that you find other kayaking moments for the summer....

10:39 PM  
Blogger Trinity2 said...

I'm coming out there the end of August to actually kayak with a friend of mine who lives out there. Email me if you want to meet up!

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home