Sunday, August 17, 2008

hey, remember me?

Sorry for the disappearing act, I had no idea I'd go so long without an internet connection at the new house! Lord! It's like I'm in the stone ages over here!

Mahavira and I officially moved into the Hawthorne house two weeks ago and it's finally starting to look like a place where people live. It has taken forever to unpack and begin the settling process. I won't bore you with the details.

When we first got here I felt like I'd won the lottery. I spent two years living in a tiny basement, then I spent two months living with Ginger and Mahavira in a tiny studio over a loud pizza joint, I haven't had a yard or a porch or anything in so long, and suddenly I find myself in a gorgeous, three-bedroom Craftsman bungalow with a fully fenced back yard, a gated front porch and more room than I've had access to in YEARS.

The dog is unbelievably happy. Last night, when we got home from the grocery store, Mahavira cut up a hot-dog into a hundred pieces and chunked it all into the backyard. Ginger spent about an hour out there sniffing them all out. It was awesome.

Every night we sit on the porch and Mahavira smokes cigarettes and we watch a whole murder of crows congregate in a huge weeping willow across the street. Mahavira's friends next door always drop by for a few minutes. Other folks wander by, my friend Leo is becoming a regular. Life has suddenly gotten so much bigger and freer.

What's funny is that Mahavira and I have been fighting a lot more since we moved out of the apartment. Not bad fighting though, if you can believe that. Good fighting. Moving from the apartment into the house was a bigger step than we both realized. In some ways it was really easy for us to crash in the apartment together. The space had limitations and we knew that. It was like a two-month honeymoon, like we'd run away to some European city and shacked up in some cold-water flat, so drunk on our love we didn't care about other comforts.

Now that we're in the house, we're learning new things about each other. New insecurities are coming up and surprising us both. Also, according to Astrology Zone, there was some kind of uber-distressing planetary alingment happening during the first of the month that was going to cause major strife in our closest relationships... and we felt it.

But fighting is part of relationships and I think we fight pretty well. We apologize, we work on our shit, we love each other. It's really good. Tonight we're hanging out with Mahavira's dad. Mahavira is making hummus right now and in a few minutes we're walking over to Pastaworks on Hawthorne to get the stuff for antipasti: fancy cheeses, salami, heirloom tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. Making good food is our new project, now that we're in the Hawthorne house.

Life is really good here.

7 Comments:

Blogger Trinity2 said...

I'm so glad! The new digs sound great! And, yes - the occasional fight is healthy - good to get out all the toxins and make up sex is great ;-)

6:33 AM  
Blogger mccutcheon said...

Sounds really great, living in an actual house. I regret to inform you, however, that we do have warm water in our flats here in Europe ;)

11:45 AM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

trinity -- thanks! and yes to the make-up sex. big yes.

p.s. weren't you supposed to come to oregon sometime? i got wrapped up in moving and stuff, i forgot when that was happening...

mccutcheon -- can't you let me have my little fantasies??? even though they're maybe a little out of date... ;-)

1:05 PM  
Blogger heather said...

that is awesome about the hot dog. i will have to do that next time i'm on the back deck or something.

growing pains sounds like but good overall. glad you're doing so well!

2:28 PM  
Blogger roro said...

Yay! Congrats on the move! Hurray for good fighting (and the good things that follow). Emmy Lou is jealous of Ginger's yard.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I was just wondering what happened to you.

Summertime in Portland is the best. I absolutely love sitting around a lot and having random, chill interactions with friends. Hoorah for the good life!

10:20 AM  
Blogger mccutcheon said...

well, ok. I'll shut up about going home to my warm-water flat then ;)
we still don't really have air conditioners though, so maybe we are indeed in the dark ages.

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home