Monday, June 02, 2008

i live at mississippi pizza


While I don't actually live INSIDE Mississippi Pizza, I do live ON TOP OF Mississippi Pizza, now that my move into Mahavira's apartment is complete, and it often feels like we are very close to the action indeed. There's live music downstairs pretty much every night of the week, which is less of a noise problem than you might think. The worst thing about it is all the goddamn pizza I eat. Just because it's there. And it's cheap. And it's so so easy.

It's actually kinda cool living on top of one of North Portland's most happenin' spots. By "most happenin'" I definitely don't mean "coolest." But there really is a lot happening down there. Most afternoons the place is awash in children, and their comfortably dressed, Portland yuppie parents, baby-dancing to the music and crying about pizza. Then, in the evenings, the other crowd of slightly younger Portland yuppies rolls in for whatever bluesy, folksy, mambo band happens to be on the roster.

I never, ever, EVER bother to check out the music, even though some of it might be good. Living on top of the place, and essentially treating it like my living room, gives me license to be 'cooler than thou' in regard to all the entertainment happening down there. Mahavira and I pop down there almost every night with the dog to sit at the picnic tables out front and drink cheap beer. The dog gets molested/adored by all the passers by and Mahavira and I sorta just tolerate the crowd of people on our "front porch."

This crowd includes several frequent flyer pan-handlers. First there's the one-legged lady in the wheelchair, she always wants change and isn't ashamed to tell you she's either going to buy beer or pot with it. Every now and then she wants a bus ticket. Then there's this other guy who usually just wants a cigarette. Then, finally, there's the singing-flower-guy who claims to be raising money for some men's shelter I've never heard of (and believe me, if it existed in Portland, I would have heard of it) -- he walks around selling handfuls of gorgeous flowers he has very obviously just stolen from people's yards, and he once sang a duet of "Suddenly" by Lionel Richie with Mahavira whose love of that song far surpasses her ability to sing it. He actually told her to sing quieter and let him finish... she pretended not to notice. And that is why I love her.

If you're wondering how I feel about losing my little apartment on the other side of MLK, I'll tell you: I feel fine about it. I finished up the move on Saturday and I feel a tremendous relief now that I'm not stretched between two places. About two weeks into my relationship with Mahavira it became clear that we would have to live together, there was just no way around it. And now, here we are, and even though we're in a tiny little spot, we're exactly where we're supposed to be and we're pretty happy about it all.

My love for Mahavira, and the dog of course, aside, it's also just really nice to be above-ground for a change. It's nice to have light coming in the windows, to have warmth, to have plants all over. It's also nice not to have rent. For some reason Mahavira is refusing to let me help with this month's rent. I do not understand her reasons, but I have come to accept it. Instead of paying rent -- and Mahavira doesn't know this yet -- I'm going to go down to Atlas Tattoo and pay the equivalent of my half of the rent to get her some store credit. She's been wanting a new tattoo and says she can't afford it right now. We'll see about that...

6 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

glad your move is going well, if noisy. =) and nice tats!

10:57 AM  
Blogger roro said...

Aww. Congrats on moving in together! That's fantastic. Having a patio right outside your door all summer long sounds pretty ideal to me. And I bet she'll flip (in a good way) over your gift o' tattoo. Yay love!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

There is no way in HELL I could live that close to a pizza shop. Dear lord, why not open an ice cream parlor next door and make my ass grow faster.

Congrats on finishing up that whole pain in the ass moving in thing!!!

10:59 AM  
Blogger zuhn said...

Wow. It's been so long since I've come by I've missed so much. Congrats on your move, the matching tats, and that general happy, loving feeling you've got going on.

1:19 PM  
Blogger south carolina boy said...

moderation. have one slice of pizza everyday instead of 3 slices twice a week :)

7:21 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

heather -- thanks! fortunately the noise isn't too bad.

roro -- thanks to you too. yes, the "patio" (a.k.a. picnic tables on the sidewalk that belong to the pizza joint) is pretty rad. however, we plan to move back into mahavira's HOUSE that she owns (long story on that one) in august, which has a whole front porch of it's very own. and a BACK YARD! that's luxury baby!

pj -- funny you should mention the ice-cream, they just took out half the picnic tables on the sidewalk, put in a bar, and installed a shaved-ice window right there. where once we sat and drank beer, now we can stand and order shaved ice! which is probably less fattening than ice-cream... i hope. cuz i love shaved ice.

zuhn -- thanks. and where the hell have you been?

scg -- you guys and the pizza thing... honestly, i have surprisingly few "cravings" for the pizza, per se. it's not that tasty, it's just so goddamn convenient! and anyway, one slice is PLENTY. it's the fucking beer that's making me gain weight.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home