Tuesday, June 20, 2006

scary word of the day

messianic

Main Entry: mes·si·an·ic
Pronunciation: "me-sE-'a-nik
Function: adjective
Etymology: probably from French messianique, from messianisme
1 : of or relating to a messiah
2 : marked by idealism and an aggressive crusading spirit "a messianic sense of historic mission -- Edmond Taylor"

Thanks Merriam Webster Online

George wants us to do something about North Korea and Iran. Beheadings no longer seem surprising. The National Guard has been called in to keep order in New Orleans because it's been reduced to some Mad Max, post-apocalyptic wasteland down there after Katrina.

I'm afraid of the world right now. Anybody have anything reassuring to say about it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Andygrrl said...

I'm thinking, I'm thinking....

The only thing I can come up with is that the world doesn't really get better and it doesn't really get worse, as far as I can tell. It always seems on the verge of disaster. I mean, I was just a kid during the 80s, but everybody was freaking out about the Russians and nuclear winter, what with Reagan and all. There's always something, just the name and geography changes.

I guess what I'm saying is this too shall pass. Hopefully without getting us all killed.

Hm, maybe I should think a little harder...

2:21 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

while not particularly reassuring, i think what you say is true. i guess the world is totally chaotic and violent for a lot of the people a lot of the time and i'm in a place of privelege to find myself, for the first time, starting to feel the first stirrings of a kind of threat of danger that many in the world feel on a regular basis. hmm. also, i'm reading this ominous philip roth book called "the plot against america" -- a sort of disturbing fantasy about what would have happened if charles lindbergh had been elected president in the '40s and had sided with hitler. depressing and scary.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home