Thursday, October 19, 2006

status report

Life in the past few days:

1.) Work is full of liars and wanna-be suicides. Last night: slit wrists plus a handful of narcotics equals I'm calling 911 for the thousandth time from work, sending someone away on a stretcher, while someone else waits to talk to me in private, to tell me she doesn't want to live anymore because life is too miserable, and what I say to her is as good as I can expect from myself, but what I *want* to say is "Bullshit, if you didn't want to live anymore, you wouldn't be sitting here talking to me, you'd be home blowing your head off." I try and keep that kind of stuff to myself.

2.) After six short hours of sleep, I was up at 7 this morning to shower and run to school to deliver my group presentation on the English Criminal Justice system. Thirty minutes of rain and bad traffic led to three hours of my group lecturing on England. I coughed a lot and sat bundled in my scarf and jacket even though I eventually got hot. I went last and talked so fast, I ended my bit about ten minutes earlier than all my test-runs, which meant we actually finished on time.

3.) Brief interlude: ran downtown and picked up SK who had a sandwich for me. Very, very sweet. Once again, we're drifting apart, but she's still right there with the sandwiches.

4.) Over to the Ecotrust building for a three hour CLE on Medicaid. (CLE stands for "continuing legal education" -- they're classes for lawyers.) My Health and Poverty Law class attended the CLE in lieu of going to class today. It was more than dull. Our smarmy professor arrived twenty minutes late and disappeared after half an hour. Bastard. The rest of us dutifully hung around until the break at 3:40. The thing still had three hours to go. I feel sorry for all the suited zombies who had to stay.

5.) I came home. I'm taking a mental/physical health day from work, otherwise I would be there right now, serving another 4-midnight sentence. Instead, I'm here, relaxing, recovering, etc. I made an enormous pot of curried vegetables and tofu and watched the first three segments of a debate about the "Israel lobby" hosted by the London Review of Books (thanks Shelley, for turning me on to that one). Video of the debate is available on their website and it's pretty interesting. Before that I cleaned the hovel a little and walked to the store for peas to put in the curry.

6.) It's getting dark and I have that weird melancholic feeling that comes from being still after so much commotion. I should put on the radio or something. My next project is to eat Greek style fig yogurt for dessert then clean the hovel some more. This time, I go after all the paper: the recyclable newspapers scattered all over the floor and all the unopened mail. Plant care and sorting the piles of clothes are already done. After the paper's sorted, I should be set for another week or so of chaos. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home