Wednesday, March 28, 2007

worried

SK leaves for England in two weeks. She'll be gone for three whole months. The reality and the nearness of her departure has suddenly hit. For awhile, the time between "now" and SK leaving seemed indefinite and blurry. But now it's whittled down to fourteen completely identifiable days, a much more concrete proposition. Something to get anxious about.

This will be a lot like her two month trip to Australia last year, only this will be fifty-percent longer. It was a sweet time, despite her absence. We wrote voluminous letters and talked on the phone every few days. In some ways we were more in touch during those months than we are some days in the same city. I was constantly aware of her travels, each day I had a rough idea where she was and what she was doing. I had my own vicarious Australian adventure. I guess this will be similar.

In the meantime, I've got three months to get my own shit together so she'll come back to a fully functioning girlfriend with an income and (hopefully) only one job. (Translation: hopefully I won't still be working my midnight shifts at the homeless shelter. Hopefully I'll be making money with the law only.)

Now I'm going to catch my 12:06 bus and go home because graveyard actually showed up tonight! It's a miracle!

5 Comments:

Blogger kate.d. said...

well, hopefully you can have a vicarious english adventure this time around! that seems like a good way to try to think about it...

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you can think of it as three months of freedom to go sow your wild oats.

Wait, does SK read your blog? I meant...um...that must be really hard.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry you will be so lonely. but maybe the time will pass by quickly and sk will be back home to you again in no time. you and sk seem very lucky to have each other.

good luck with your goals! i'm sure you will do great with your career.

8:53 AM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

thanks guys, you're all very sweet to shower me with support. zuhn -- i don't think i have any wild oats left, though i shop at wild oats. and i have some steel cut oats in the fridge. they're the best.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha - as zuhn said, that must be hard. Hope your last couple of weeks are lovely and that SK has a fabulous time abroad.

Just coming off my last two months of long-distance lovin' - as you already know, the absence bites, but I certainly enjoyed the absence of criticism over my all-night knitting/Joss Whedon tv series marathons. Let me know if you need me to pass on HB's Lesbian Long Distance Relationship Poetry Pack.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home