Saturday, May 26, 2007

down meme-ory lane...

Uh, yeah. Sorry about that. Anyway, I swiped a meme from somebody because I'm too lazy to write an original post today. Maybe later. For now, here's this meme about my SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL. B/c I know you're all dying to know about my senior year... and I'm pretty sure this was adapted from one of those lame myspace memes that my 26 year old brother keeps posting in his bulletins b/c he hasn't quite figured out that these myspace memes are meant for kids who are actually still in school. You'd think all the questions about homework and whether he's ever kissed a girl would tip him off.

Anyway, here you go. Enjoy.

1. Who was your best friend? Tam. And Shannon. And also I was secretly in lesbian-love with both of them. Woops.

2. What sports did you play? None senior year, but I played soccer when I was a sophomore. I sucked.

3. What kind of car did you drive? A 1963 Ford Falcon. It smelled (and ran) like a tractor, but I loved it. I think it got 8 miles to the gallon... sorry environment....

4. It's Friday night, where were you? Mostly I was home watching tv. But sometimes I was hanging out with my friend Donor doing cool stuff, like driving to Raleigh to hang out at Cup A Joe or trying to get in to see live bands even though we were under 21.

5. Were you a party animal? Hardly. I was proto-straight-edge... for some reason...

6. Were you considered a flirt? No way. I was a confused lesbian.

7. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? No, but I did take music appreciation.

8. Were you a nerd? No. But I was weird. I was kinda like the Ally Sheedy character in Breakfast Club, w/o the dandruff.

9. Did you get suspended/expelled? No, but I remember going to detention one time. It was called "chill-out." Because that's how cool my school was. I can't remember what I went for, probably for skipping class and leaving campus.

10. Can you sing the fight song? I don't think we had a fight song.

11. Who was your favorite teacher? Ms. Wallace, my English teacher. I was platonically in love with her. She was great.

12. What was your school's full name? Smithfield-Selma High School.

13. School mascot? Spartan.

14. Did you go to Prom? Uh, no. No I didn't.

15. If you could go back and do it over, would you? Fuck no.

16. What do you remember most about graduation? Oh, graduation was great b/c it was superceded by an act of nature. We were all set up on the football field on a nice, balmy, May day in central North Carolina, when all of a sudden a summer thunderstorm with hurricane style winds blew in out of nowhere. It was AWESOME. All the decorations blew down and our caps and honor cords blew off and the principal interrupted the valedictorian's speech to say "Uh, due to the bad weather, uh, by the power vested in me as the principal, uh, you're all graduated! Congratulations! NOW QUICK! RUN INTO THE BUILDING! TAKE COVER!" And that was that. Our names weren't called, we didn't walk across a stage, we weren't handed a pretend diploma. We all ran into the gymnasium where we sat on the floor in our caps and gowns (while our families crowded into the bleachers) and we listened to interminable speeches in the sweltering heat, while the storm raged on outside. It was pretty unusual.

17. Where were you on senior skip day? I skipped a lot as a senior. I'm not aware of there being a special day set aside for it. Tam and I used to sneak off campus and drive down to taco bell. We called it our "5th period Spanish supplement."

18. Did you have a job your senior year? You're damn right I did. I was a cashier at Food Lion, a grocery store on the East coast.

19. Where did you go most often for lunch? If I ate lunch, it was at taco bell with Tam. I didn't step foot one single time into the cafeteria at my high school. I don't know how I managed it, but I did.

20. Have you gained weight since then? No, I've always fluctuated between 125 and 135, even then.

21. What did you do after graduation? Well, I only know the answer to this question b/c my dad gave me a video camera for my graduation present, so I videotaped good portions of this. My friends Donor and Paul (who had graduated the year before) came over to my house and then we went to Blockbuster and rented something and... that's all I have on tape, so that's all I know. It looked like we were having fun, but it sounds boring.

22. When did you graduate? 1993

23. Who was your Senior prom date? Duh, I said I didn't go.

24. Are you going to your 10 year reunion? I missed it. I was planning to go, but for some reason it was scheduled for October and I had just started law school in September and couldn't go. Oh well.

25. Who was your home room teacher? Mrs. Fritz, the Spanish teacher. She was kinda bizarre, but in a good way.

26. Who will repost this after you? I tag everybody who's feeling nostalgic. :-) Anybody? Anybody?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would, but...I never went to my senior year of high school. :)

1:18 PM  
Blogger heather said...

i love your graduation story. by the power vested in me, run for your lives! awesome.

i posted mine. good timing since i'm due to write about 12th grade next!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I had a teacher named Mrs Wallace. I fucking hated her.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How old are you? 30? And you're still reliving memories of high school?

Grow up, please.

6:00 AM  
Blogger stumptown dreamer said...

chripes, i am 41 and even i found it an interesting exercise in how life develops and becomes its next thing...

why is anonymous so into growing up, and what does 'growing up' mean exactly? having no memories, having no reminiscing, having no stories to tell?

i dont understand...

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home