Friday, July 06, 2007

independence day

I wish I could've brought you all along with me on my mini-independence day adventure, because I will not be able to describe how cool it was. As usual, I was working on the fourth, so my options were pretty limited. However, I managed to do the one thing I've wanted most to do all these years and had never managed to swing: I climbed on top of our building to watch the fireworks.

It was awesome. First of all, I love climbing on top of our building. This activity is strictly forbidden and very risky. To do it, you have to use the fire-escape which means you have to step out over a railing on the third floor and then climb a ladder on the outside of the building up onto the roof. I love heights and I'm not worried about falling. I AM worried about other clients down below seeing me as I become very visible on that ladder and either 1.) tattling on me, or 2.) deciding to try it themselves. Actually, the second one is all I'm really worried about. If they get the idea to climb onto the roof by themselves, that's one thing. But if they get the idea from me, and then (god forbid) they fall (or jump) I would feel really shitty for a really long time.

So, there are the drawbacks to getting on the roof. However, the benefits of getting on the roof are MANY. It's AWESOME up there. You can see all the cool, old buildings in Old Town, the west hills, and all the bridges. It's gorgeous in the daytime and it's gorgeous at night. It's also solitary and peaceful. You're sure not likely to run into anybody else up there. Except for the big plastic owl. I'm not sure how he got up there, but I suspect my friend Hoot did it a long time ago.

Anyway, fireworks from the roof of our building was the coolest thing I've done for the fourth in a LONG TIME. I basically had a 360 degree panoramic view of fireworks displays all over the city. I could even see the display from Fort Vancouver! I stood up there (right on the edge, where I could get a better view) for 45 minutes and it was so, so cool. See? I can't even begin to describe how cool it was.

The only way it could've been cooler would be if I could've jumped off and soared all over the city like superman. Which reminds me, riding on a motorcycle is like flying. I always suspected it would be, but I never knew for sure. You dip and soar and slice through the air. I loved it. And I know I loved it b/c I could see the reflection of my shit-eating-grin in the back of the driver's helmet the whole time. If I wondered how I was enjoying it, I could just look straight ahead and there I was, a big round head with a big huge grin, the whole time. Yay. :-)

Life is suddenly full of these strange, exciting adventures. I feel really fortunate.

3 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

that sounds awesome. happy belated 4th!

1:14 PM  
Blogger stumptown dreamer said...

i am sure you know this already but there is also a trap door entrance to the roof via the 3rd floor laundry ceiling.... you need the big ladder from the basement, but just incase you ever wanted to go from the inside out.....

1:33 AM  
Blogger stumptown dreamer said...

love the big shit-eating grin image too!! hahahaha!!!

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home