Tuesday, February 05, 2008

super duper tuesday

As the year 2000 turned into 2001, I watched with bewilderment as the election debacle finally resolved itself in the worst possible way. When the dust cleared and George W. Bush was installed as president, I was disappointed (scared, annoyed, disgusted) but I looked forward with hope to 2004.

We all know what happened then. I don't know about you, but I sat at the E-room (Portland's only lesbian bar) and watched the depressing results roll in. Not only did George get reelected, but twelve states enacted anti-gay marriage legislation of some kind, including my own state, and my marriage to CB dissolved before our eyes.

Fun times. Ostensibly we all left the bar that night looking forward to 2008. Not me. Turns out, I have lost all faith in American politics. And now that John Edwards is out and only Hillary and Obama remain... come on. It's all over. As I've mentioned before, the best we can hope for at this point is John McCain. And, god-willing, I'll be happy to eat those words in November.

Anyhoo, the point is, who cares about so-called Super Tuesday? It's all the effing same. My co-worker Pat summed it up right after the New Hampshire primaries. We were talking about the possibilities and he said, "Yeah, you know, it'll probably end up being Bush again. They'll count all the votes and all of a sudden somebody will say 'It's George, he won,' and the Supreme Court will be like 'yeah, we don't really know how it happened, but we guess it's legal,' and that'll be it." I don't think this is a particularly unlikely scenerio.

1 Comments:

Blogger Trinity2 said...

"I don't think this is a particularly unlikely scenerio."
I agree. Especially since all the votes in Florida getting messed up in 2000 and "OH, looks like George won!"

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home