Monday, March 27, 2006

traumatic brain injury

All day, a headache, eyes all squinted up and bleary, brain a few steps behind, in a fog, in mush. I think that paper yesterday gave me a brain injury -- a TBI as they're called, and maybe now, in addition to pain and latency, I'll develop those other weird symptoms associated with TBIs, like disinhibition and concreteness. People with TBIs often take their clothes off in public and aren't able to modulate their voices. So they yell a lot. Naked.

My friend Waspy is trying to convince me to spend a few days in April with her in Coos Bay (on the coast) while she does some big trial she's been working on for months and months. Coos Bay is ugly and far away, but I think she's going to convince me to go. Her best argument: "what else are you going to do?" And while I can think of a million other things I could do, I can't help but remember a Vonnegut quote that I had written in sharpie across my backpack in highschool ('cause I was *that* kind of kid) -- it said "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god."

So... how can I decline?

P.S. -- Here's how I can decline: I can realize that I have to work and go to school all the days of her trial. That's the "what else" that I'm going to do. Oh well. Sorry Waspy. And sorry Kurt Vonnegut. Maybe next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home