Tuesday, April 18, 2006

poem of the day

I noticed, recently, while surfing blogs (because I'm chronically unable to do anything productive lately) that the content in many blogs seems to drift from the apparent original purposes of those blogs. For example, a blog with a name like "squashing the patriarchy" (which I just made up to illustrate my point) will still contain a bunch of mundane posts about how the blogger's cat has ear mites or how the weather was so gorgeous the blogger just couldn't concentrate on her work. That's all fine and good, but what happened to squashing the patriarchy?

So then I realized maybe I've done the same thing. I started this blog the day I left CB last December as a way to rededicate myself to writing. I've written 215 posts since then, so... in a way, I'm still fulfulling my mission. However, I named myself reasonably prudent poet and I named my blog after my favorite poem by my favorite poet and, in general, I held the blog out as having some strong tie to poetry... and... well.... it doesn't.

To help rectify that situation, let me present, today's poem of the day.

A Man Said To The Universe -- by Steven Crane

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

Short sweet and to the point. This little guy comes from a collection called "War is Kind and Other Lines" -- Steven Crane was an anti-war kinda guy. And that's pretty nice. These days.

Not to mention, this is the relationship I feel I'm having with the universe lately. And that's kind of a bummer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home