Sunday, April 16, 2006

gives me pause

So, you know, I work in a homeless shelter, basically. And we have a clothes room where people who come into our program can go for anything they might need. The clothes room is stocked w/ donations, many of which come from us, the staff. It is, therefore, not uncommon to see your old clothes walking around on clients. Which, no matter how many times it happens, is always a little surprising.

This weekend I saw a full outfit walking around on the body of a woman who just got back from jail. Why was she in jail? Prostitution. My clothes on a prostitute. This has happened many times and always makes me wonder -- what is it about my clothes that appeals to the prostitutes? I dress like a man!

This time I felt a little regret -- those salmon colored courds and that greenish cowboy shirt looked really good on that chick. It had never even occurred to me to wear them together, though for years they cohabitated in my closet. Damn, why did I donate that stuff?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home