Saturday, July 22, 2006

mr. crankypants returns from nature unscathed

SK and I spent a lovely day and night camping, hiking and lounging around on Mirror Lake and now we're back and I'm still a total bitch, so, go figure. I've put myself in "time-out" over at my house and I will not come out until I think about what I've done. Lucky for the world, I guess, because that means I'll be updating my blog sooner than I would if I was still sitting over at SK's watching old reruns of Sex in the City.

So, we got up early yesterday morning and packed up and hit the road for weekend liesure. This particular little camping trip involved a thirty-minute hike in, uphill all the way, carrying a forty pound pack. This was a true test of my emerging athleticism and I give all the credit for my ability to actually do it to the Keen hiking sandals I got last month. Not only did those hiking sandals give me a smooth hike up the hill today, they actually inspired me from the day I got them to do lots and lots of walking which has caused me to actually get in shape. Amazing!

So we hiked up to the lake, set up camp and were on the water by noon. It was gorgeous. We spent most of the day just lounging. SK swam, I sat and stared at nature with my feet in the water (still in the sandals, mind you)... Yeah... anyway, we also ate fabulous sandwiches that SK made for the trip because she's a food goddess, among other things. Then we hiked around the lake, saw lots of garter snakes and came back to camp for some supper. It was uneventful but lovely. I was, of course, brooding and worried about my life in general, which is a fun, new state of mind for me to occupy these days. I can't fucking shake it! I don't know what to do. But whatever, I was hoping a couple days in nature might help... however... not so much.

Yadda, yadda, we lounged in the tent to avoid the hordes of biting flies that plagued any part of the lake area that wasn't breezey (like our campsite) and ended up going to bed pretty early. We got up early too and took a long, awesome hike up a ridge that looked way down on the lake and across to Mt. Hood. It was gorgeous and I was proud of my newfound hiking abilities. No more burning lungs for me! I'm a pro now! Then we hiked back down, stuck our heads in the lake for refreshment, then packed up the camp and headed back to Portland.

After a whirlwind trip to my house for showers and over for our weekly, weekend burritos at Bonita Taqueria on Alberta, we ended up back at SK's by 5 watching episodes of Sex in the City on DVD from the library. I have to explain, through the duration of that show on television, I didn't have cable (or even a tv some of the time... like now...) and until a couple of weeks ago I had never seen a single episode. Not a single episode! Not even over at someone's house or playing in a bar or any of the other places where I manage to catch episodes of other stupid shit like Everybody Loves Raymond and Reno 911. So SK started checking them out of the library and playing them for me a few episodes at a time and I have to say... I've been diggin' em. At first I was disappointed, but the characters started to grow on me and, of course, we watched the season where that hot guy who used to be on Northern Exposure played Carrie Bradshaw's boyfriend, and that was pretty fun to watch...

But I digress. I was also feeling hot and tired and crampy and I said something bitchy to SK, something I'm not even sure I remember, I just remember the effect it had, and that's when I decided to put myself in time-out. I'm not liking myself very much these days and I'm not sure what to do about it. But, being a jerk to my girlfriend is not the answer. So here I am, home alone, to think about what I've done. My land-people (who live above me) are out of town for the weekend... so maybe I'll take advantage of my unusual solitude and play my guitar and sing really loud. That always cheers me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home