Friday, August 11, 2006

ahhhh, the warm fuzzy feeling of procrastination

It feels just like home. :-) I mean, I've had a sort of lazy, useless summer, so you could say I've been procrastinating since the day after my last exam in May. However, when you don't really have anything else to do, doing nothing can't really be called "procrastination." It certainly doesn't feel as fulfilling.

So here I am today, back at my coffeeshop, working on an actual PAPER for SCHOOL. Remember school? Remember papers? Actually, there was only ever that one, big paper. That's the one I'm still working on. I turned in my rough draft in the middle of March and my professor just got it back to me with comments on it in the middle of July. That's a FOUR MONTH TURNAROUND.

Sorry to beat you over the head with all-caps, but jesus. Four months is a long time to wait for a paper to come back. Now I'm working on the re-write and I've set myself a hard deadline: I must be done by the end of the weekend, ie: by Sunday afternoon when SK comes back from the coast. So I packed my bag up and came down here to my coffeeshop to work on it (just like old times) and now that it's all serious business again, the pull to procrastinate by writing blogs is soooooooooo sweet and alluring!

To put a reasonable justification type spin on it, blogging is like priming the pump. I can write some here to get my mind and my fingers in the spirit of writing the paper. It actually does help. But it also just feels good to procrastinate. Why? SK would like me to deepen this experience (all experience) so I'll work on it right now. What feels good? To procrastinate right now feels like pulling back a rubber band -- I'm letting the tension of the deadline build-up, which will create a sort of intense thrust later when I really get started. It'll be like shooting the rubber-band across the room -- it'll go fast and smooth and land somewhere good and then I'll be done. That's what it feels like to procrastinate right now. More or less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home