Friday, December 01, 2006

to look forward to

November: gone. One-hundred-forty-three pages of bad Nano novel: tucked discreetly into a desk drawer, to be ignored awhile then dug out and revised at some much later time. Exams: looming. Now it's time to buckle down and end all extraneous pursuits. I will write one last paper. I will study for my exams. I will take my exams. I will be done by 5pm on December 21st.

(I will have a one week vacation from school and then I will start studying for the bar, but can we not talk about that just yet?)

I have been a very good girl today. I have sat at my desk with very little internet procrastination and I have outlined my paper. I have been sitting here for HOURS and my HOURS of sitting here have paid off. The paper is outlined. I will probably need to add more, but for now, all the materials I have collected thus far are in the outline. So there. My immediate treat is writing this blog. (Yay.) Then I get to go to SK's for some R and R.

My long term treat, the treat that waits for me after AAAAALLLLLLLL this junk is over, is represented by what I like to call the international array of goodies on my desk. I look at the international array of goodies and I remember that this will all be over by March and then, I'm off to bigger and better.

What's in the array?

1.) my very first passport. It's so pretty. It's so navy blue.

2.) my WWOOF card in its thin, brown airmail envelop from the UK. WWOOFing isn't something to do with dogs, it stands for Willing Workers on Organic Farms, or WorldWide Opportunities on Organic Farms, depending on who you talk to. Membership in a WWOOF organization allows you to volunteer to work on someone's organic farm in exchange for free room and usually board as well. In case I want to linger in Europe in some as yet undecided location... should I pick Norway...? Or Belgium? France...? Or Greece?

3.) My blank Pilgrim Credential for the Camino de Santiago de Compostella in Spain. The Camino de Santiago is an 800km walk across Northern Spain, starting in the Basque region of the Pyranees and ending up close to the Atlantic Coast just North of Portugal. The Pilgrim Credential, which functions kind of like a Camino passport, allows you to stay at the different hostels and dorms that are located all along the route and are mostly operated by the Catholic Church. You present your credential each night at the hostel and they stamp it. When you're done, you have a billion stamps to prove you really walked the Camino.

The credential is the latest addition to my international array and isn't as cool as I'd hoped it would be. It's just a long piece of cardboard folding like an accordian and says on the back "American Pilgrims on the Camino" -- I may as well stitch a big ol' American flag onto the back of my pack, but oh well. I wasn't going to bother pretending I was from Canada anyway. I may as well take the heat for my country. Why should I feel absolved just because I think I'm more compassionate and enlightened? I've still been benefiting from all the things we do wrong. Why not acknowledge it.

But I digress, the international array reminds me that I have huge plans that have nothing to do with law school or the bar exam. Huge plans that will take me out of this country and put me in cool places I've never been before. Huge plans that are sometimes more stressful than relaxing to imagine, but regardless, huge plans for really cool things to look forward to after all this other crap is done.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Gilmour said...

Hi,

Just writting to ask if you can add a link to my site from your blog.

Thanks

http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home