Monday, November 20, 2006

tram gawking

Sorry, Bojack, but I gawked the tram today and I LOVED it.

For those of you not fortunate enough to be living up here in Stumptown, we're in the midst of building this quite controversial aerial tram (rimshot for Bojack) over I-5 to connect some really big buildings to some other really big buildings. I don't know much about it besides what Bojack says about it over on Jack Bog's Blog and, frankly, the details go in one ear and out the other, I just gather that it's a money sucking bad idea.

But it's SO COOOOOL! I've been watching the big tram post (I'm sure it has a name) go up next I-5 as I drive back and forth school and that alone has been pretty interesting. The finished product looks like one of those giant AT-AT military walkers from StarWars (just Google it, you'll see) and seems poised to take one wide step over the highway on it's way up the hill to destroy the VA hospital.

That part's been finished for awhile and the cables are up too, but it wasn't until (of all days) my BIRTHDAY last week when I first saw an actual tram car gliding along in the sky. I had just come around the corner, in view of the tram line, when I saw it, cresting the curve over the post and slipping along, high over the road. It was silent and ethereal, still in it's wrapping plastic, which flapped in the air and gave it the look of a ghostly, haunted tram car, transporting ghouls from here to eternity. It was really cool and especially nice to see it on my birthday. Like a weird little present from the city, just for me.

I saw another one today and the shock was less noticeable. People were slowing down to gawk though. I guess that's to be expected, but hopefully it'll wear off once the thing's been running for awhile. I know you hate it, Bojack, but now that it's there, don't you think it'd be really cool to ride it??? The view of the valley and the river would be gorgeous from up there. I don't know about you, but I can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home