Saturday, March 10, 2007

ethics, shmethics

A tale told in bullets:

1.) I woke up this morning at 6am. Not on purpose.

2.) SK made me toast and a boiled egg so I'd have some energy for my test.

3.) SK told me she was mauled by a hot dyke during her first-aid training yesterday. At first, she let me think it was not such a hot dyke who did the mauling, and I was ready to go find and beat up that dyke. But then she told me the name of the dyke in question and... well... she's pretty hot in a powerful and exotic sort of way. Somehow, my playful jealousy morphed into a sort of pride. Good job, sweetie. You attracted the attention of somebody really yummy. You get a gold star.

4.) I drove to the University of Portland. Woe be unto anyone who read my last post and believed what I wrote and went to take the MPRE at Portland State University. That was WRONG WRONG WRONG. I knew where the place was located, I just accidentally used the wrong name. Mea Culpa.

5.) Speaking of mea culpa, U of P had a lot of Jesus stuff around. Have I lived here 6 years w/o realizing U of P is a Catholic university? I swear to god, my exam room had a wooden crucifix hanging on the wall by the door. Yikes. I felt a little bit harrassed by that limp corpse of Jesus, just hanging there and looking down on me -- if I fail the MPRE, I'm suing.

6.) While the limp corpse of Jesus is allowed in the exam room, water bottles and earplugs are not. WTF??? Can I not stay hydrated while I take my exam?!? Can I not block out the sounds of my neighbors' sighs and shuffling feet w/ my giant, orange earplugs?? Are you kidding? How could I possibly cheat with a clear Nalgene bottle and foam earplugs? Felt like ridiculous overkill after the bar. Sure, they were adamant about NO CELLPHONES, but that makes sense. Water bottles and earplugs? I considered those things *necessary* until today. Oh well. Another reason to sue if I fail.

7.) That's all. It was over fast and I left in a hurry and now I'm home waiting for the reality of my newly realized freedom to dawn. Or waiting to feel motivated to clean my house. After two and a half months of neglect, it could really use it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooooooo! Congrats on finishing once and for all! Too bad about JC - hope he didn't fuck you up too much.

Bullet #3 - You are hilarious. I wish Katr had given me a gold star the one time I got hit on by a sex columnist/burlesque dancer after a performance. Instead, she just DIDN'T BELIEVE ME. Clearly, she was jealous.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got some crucifixes in my room but no jesuses on them. i have a Jesus and also a Mary, but they are not being crucified.

We don't have alot of crucifixes at my baptist college. but i did go to a doctor's office once a few years ago and they had crucifixes everywhere. and a poster of mel gibson's passion of the christ, which had just come out. obviously i go to a christian school and have no problem with christianity-based places like that, but something about christianity going with medicine didn't seem appropriate, anyway i didn't go back to that doctor's office.

1:26 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

roro -- thanks! sk definitely deserves a gold star. and wow -- that's just cold, coming from katr. obvious jealousy.

scg -- correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the defining feature of a "crucifix" was the crucified christ? which distinguishes the crucifix from the simple "cross" -- which is just a cross. that's what i always thought.

anyway, while i am not a hater of jesus, i'm not a christian either and i was really surprised to see so much of jesus around the u of p campus. i'd made the assumption that it was a public university -- obviously it's not.

of course, as a law person, i'm curious about the first amendment implications of making us take the ethics exam in a room w/ a prominently displayed crucifix. unfortunately, i don't have the brain power to really think the issue through today. oh well.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i didn't even know there was a dif in crucifixes and crosses. but i guess i was wrong. ok then, i have CROSSES but no jesuses on them. yeah, "crosses" is more appropriate anyway, cuz these little ceramic cute things i have are nothing like the actual wooden things that romans used to kill people with. i'm glad you told me that so i won't go around a ignorant hillbilly anymore. (Not on that subject, at least).

i don't think that anybody cares about separation of church and state when it comes to taking tests. i went to a public high school, and when we had to take our ap english exam, we took it at a local CHURCH (yeah, that's right), and there were crucifixes (yeah, with Jesus) in there, but only like 1 or 2 in the room we were in. i had the same doubts you did about the legality of it.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Don't you know that if you have Jesus, you don't NEED water bottles or ear plugs? Come on, everyone knows that...

3:40 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

I wish I had a limp Jesus corpse.

Steve~

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home