Saturday, April 21, 2007

these kids today

Check out this Yahoo! story about a transgendered kid running for prom king. Highlights from interviews with hir classmates: "We live in a generation now where dudes are chicks and chicks are dudes." And, "I like lesbians, but they shouldn't be allowed to run for king."

HIGH SCHOOL kids are saying this stuff??? Even the guy who isn't supportive is still kinda supportive in his own way. WTF?? I don't know about you, but it looks like lot has changed since *I* was in high school...

4 Comments:

Blogger zuhn said...

No kidding. Back in my day when I walked to school uphill both ways barefoot in knee deep snow, the gay talk in sex ed class, consisted in its entirety was this: well, some people are that way. The trans talk was mistaken for androgyny and the teacher couldn't even spell that. Good times.

8:07 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

well, ya little beansprout, when *I* was in sex ed classes, there wasn't any such thing as transgender yet, so there you go. and the gay part was about the same, only add a derisive tone from the teacher and snickers from the class and there you have it.

8:14 PM  
Blogger zuhn said...

beansprout?

I blocked out the snickers and oh so subtle stares everyone gave me during the gay talk. Same thing happened during the drug talks when we got to the effects of steroids. I don't know why.

8:59 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

In third grade my mother pulled me aside and talked to me about the rumors I apparently was sending around: that my teacher had had a sex change. I didn't think much of it, but looking back now, I'm pretty sure she was a big butch. It was never talked about, except by me, evidently. Honing my radar early!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home