Wednesday, February 15, 2006

valentine wonders in work related setting...

Valentine's is not a holiday I tend to embrace. "Valentine" might as well be a synonym for "pressure" or "unrealistic expectations" or a bitter combination of the two. Not so, yesterday. Not so with SK. Yesterday, Valentine equalled understated appreciation and comfortable warmth. Plus a very early in the morning staff meeting.

I started the day by picking SK up at 7:45am outside work and whisking her off to the nearby Fred Meyer (like Wal-Mart for those of you not on the West Coast) so we could buy a bunch of breakfast snacks for the 8:30am all-staff meeting. Then I whisked her back, in my little golden chariot with no hubcaps, and in we went, with our bagels and cream cheeses and what-not.

We spent the next two hours crammed onto this tiny red velvet couch in the tiny "loft" office surrounded by coworkers who (with two exceptions: my friend Dreadlock and SK's friend Kiwi) have no idea that SK and I are, as they say, an "item." The whole staff more than fills the loft and SK and I were happy to have the excuse of a crowded couch to squeeze ourselves so tightly together throughout the meeting.

It was the best all-staff meeting ever! SK and I wrote notes like sixth graders and giggled through the whole thing. We were only mildly disruptive, even when drawing big goofy hearts on our papers and writing each other mildly provacative come-ons, which were quickly scribbled over.

The best, of course, was the gorgeous card SK had made and slipped me at the start of the meeting -- a photograph she'd taken of a sort of flower petal picture she'd laid out in the shape of a heart. Every layer of this card was gorgeous and made by SK and I was so overwhelmed by work, the meeting, the roomful of people -- I almost couldn't compute the reality of the awesome card. Planning, now, what prominent spot it will occupy in my new apartment...

We spent the rest of the day, sadly, apart. She stayed there at work after the meeting was finished, and I ran off to a day full of internship work and classes. Later, I wandered into the Market of Choice (sort of like Whole Foods, but smaller) before a class looking for sushi (which I didn't find) and came across this gorgeous bulbed plant with what looked like a giant, human heart about to burst from a tall, thick stem -- the flower, still tightly packed inside itself, was darkly red, the color of blood. It now sits in SK's breakfast nook among other potted bulbs, waiting to burst, straining towards the sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home