Friday, February 10, 2006

a little train of food

Tonight bird-lady mercifully suggested we reschedule our meeting for next Tuesday -- three full days away! So, at 6pm I found myself done (DONE!!) with my project with three point five hours to kill before meeting up with SK for drinks after her class. What to do? I was pondering my options when, out of the clear-blue, this chick I met online awhile back instant-messaged me and we concocted a plan to meet for sushi.

See, CB. I can be spontaneous.

So, internet-Nicki and I met up at a sushi joint on NW 23rd. Yuppie central, but it was cool. I got there first and waited outside because the scene inside looked tricky and I didn't want to go in first. Pretty soon she pulled up on her little red scooter and in we went. I knew before we got there that sushi bars like this exist, but I'd never been to one and I felt like a little kid when we walked in.

The "bar" was enormous and snaked all around the room. Running along the length of the bar was a moving conveyor of sushi plates. I was mesmerized by the spectacle and there is no way I could adequately describe it. I know you've all seen these, other people have seen them, just not me yet. Standing back, surveying from the door, it was like a sushi-wonderland with a magic sushi-train chugging its way through the crowd.

It was so cool! Finally we sat and I stared, wide-eyed, as all these lovely dishes slid by in front of me. Meanwhile, internet-Nicki, who is a regular and who knows what everything is without having to look it up on the cheat-sheet, was snatching plates off left and right. I had to ponder everything and choose carefully. I'm slow anyway, but my natural snail's pace was compounded by pure, dreamy wonder. It all looked so good! And it was so pretty!

I'm in a bit of a gorging process these days, overeating like nobody's business, so I think it's a miracle that I got out of there having eaten only five little plates. Two sets of rolls, one plate of fried dumplings, one plate of some weird sweet rice thing wrapped in a skin of tofu and fried (I said it was weird, didn't I?) and a dessert plate of fried cream-cheese wontons with a dusting of cinnamon and sugar. Fucking Christ, those were good! I thought crab-rangoon was the zenith of the fried-cream-cheese-wonton experience... but no!

What a good night. And now I'll be heading over just a few blocks to meet up with SK and the rest of my night will pass in absolute bliss. If it wasn't for the heartbreaking daily absences, I'd probably die of bliss overload with SK. It's a good thing we're both busy, I guess.

Life is good. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home