Monday, April 03, 2006

overconsumption

Wow. What a day. I woke to a beeping cell phone -- text message coming in from Bec asking if I wanted to hang out in my favorite coffeeshop today and "work" (she's got freelance computer stuff to do). I discovered that the "1" key on the cell phone keypad is the place to go for punctuation, quite by accident. I was elated, having had no idea till now how to make a question mark or period. Technology, after all, is only as smart as its user. And that's sad.

So, at ten, I picked her up and drove her back across town and we sat in the Black Cat with computers in our laps for three hours and drank too much coffee and had a lovely time. Then we drove across the Fremont Bridge (which makes me sad now because it reminds me of my many hops across to see SK) and consumed our way from one end of NW 23rd to the other. We started with the sushi-train at Sushi-ville, which, by it's nature, lends itself to overconsumption. I mean, the little plates just slide right by you and it's all you can do to stop yourself from grabbing more and more and more. Though I noticed the selection was more limited at lunch than in the evening. Which would be fine, except it all costs the same and there were fewer of the cheapest ($1.25) plates floating by than there are at night. Hmm. Seems backwards.

We forced ourselves to stop plucking sushi plates off the train, before we were too full, to save room for dessert crepes at Vivace's a couple of blocks down. I have to say, Sushi-ville and crepes at Vivace's is a combination I have been craving for a month and I was particularly excited about the possibility of dragging someone else along with me. I was super thrilled that Bec was game. The crepes were great, if a little too sweet (especially the almond and honey variety), and as we ate we talked at length about the pluses and minuses of dating men and the reemergence of the Stepford Wife phenomenon among otherwise progressive, hipsters moving into their 30's-40's. Hmm. Deep.

After all that, Bec suggested a beer. I decided a few days ago that I wasn't going to drink or smoke anymore for awhile, having noticed the INTENSE depressive effect alcohol has been having lately. However, for Bec, on her last day in town... how could I decline? So we walked many blocks down the street to the Ram's Head Pub, one of a million McMennamins joints in this town, and a place I've been to w/ SK a few times (oh nostalgia!) and we had a couple of *glasses* (not pints) of some really good beer (I had the nitro selection, which was an oatmeal stout, and Bec had the seasonal Raspberry Stout -- both were super yummy) -- and we smoked and talked about break-ups. It was fun. No. Really. It was.

Especially fun, I noticed, is hanging out w/ someone who lives in New York and who thinks *everything* in Portland is cheap. I don't think a $4.00 beer is particularly cheap, but compared to a $10 beer (a ten freaking dollar beer??? Jesus Christ!) I can appreciate how lucky I am. Bec nearly fell off her barstool when I complained about having to pay $1.75 for a pint of Pabst the other day. Whatever. It's all relative. You can't even buy Pabst in New York anyway.

Now Bec is back at Aimee's and I'm home, completely disoriented by the bright sunny day we're suddenly having. It's after six o'clock!?! It still feels so early! And even though I'm feeling sad about Bec leaving (I'm taking her to the airport bright and early tomorrow) I came home and found an *awesome* letter from SK, complete w/ more beautiful bird-feathers, and that makes me happy.

Speaking of birdfeathers -- I got a message from bird-lady today. I've had a lovely reprieve from her these past two weeks and I was dreading having to get back in touch w/ her today. She emailed and told me she'd submitted my brief "essentially unchanged" and that I'd done a good job. A good job. Who would've known, she treated me like crap every step of the way and caused me to doubt everything I've ever thought about my brain and my abilities and my choice to go to law school. I guess I'm just weak. Whatever. I wrote a good brief, after all that shit, and now a judge will read it and hopefully my poor client will get her disability. And fuck birdlady.

The end.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birdlady, T-rex lady, is a drag..
She should have sent you a bunch of bloody flowers..

i am sending you flowers instead,

the tuftster

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home