Wednesday, June 07, 2006

in the middle of the night

So, remember how I was all whiney last week when I missed the 12:06 bus and had to wait for the 12:36 bus after work? Well, it gets worse my friends. Tonight, Old Hippie was 45 minutes late for his graveyard shift, which meant I couldn't catch a bus home till 1:36am. That's a.m. my friends. That's late. And another bummer is that I misread the schedule and didn't realize there wasn't a bus at 1:05, so I left work and went to the bus stop soooooooo much sooner than I needed to. So there's me, sitting on the corner of 2nd and Everett, on the concrete, leaning against the bus-stop sign, half-asleep, reading "True at First Light," the last published novel by Hemingway, with $120 in cash rolled up and resting under my arch inside my sock, which I did almost superstitiously -- I'm generally not afraid around this town, but I also don't generally walk around with six twenty dollar bills in my wallet (happens to be pay day)...

Anyway, I got home at 2am and by then I was too zapped to sleep, so I've been sitting here eating chips and hummus and entertaining myself on websites. I just spent the past fifteen minutes reading the extensive wikipedia entry concerning Fraggle Rock, a portion of which I have cut and will now paste here for your reading pleasure. Enjoy: (who knew Fraggle Rock was so deep??)

Fraggle Rock is a children's television series created by Jim Henson, primarily featuring a cast of Muppet creatures called Fraggles, with music by Philip Balsam and Dennis Lee.
The vision of Fraggle Rock articulated by Jim Henson was to depict a colorful and fun world, but also a world with a relatively complex system of symbiotic relationships between different "races" of creatures, an allegory to the human world, where each group was somewhat unaware of how interconnected and important they were to one another. Creating this allegorical world allowed the program to entertain and amuse while seriously exploring complex issues of prejudice, spirituality, personal identity, environment, and social conflict. Fraggle Rock generally refused to over-simplify any individual issue, instead simply illustrating the consequences and inherent difficulties of different actions and relationships. Though the Fraggles do learn important lessons, they rarely are aware that they are learning them. The ideals of friendship, being true to yourself, and learning to love those who are incredibly different, were the cornerstone of Jim Henson's work throughout his 40 year career, and he considered Fraggle Rock to be one of the purest and most successful expressions of that vision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home