Saturday, June 03, 2006

word of the day

melancholia

Main Entry: mel·an·cho·lia
Pronunciation: "me-l&n-'kO-lE-&
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Late Latin, melancholy
: a mental condition characterized by extreme depression, bodily complaints, and often hallucinations and delusions; especially : a manic-depressive psychosis

I dreamed last night that things in life had gotten so bad that I was homeless. Actually, in the dream, I had *been* homeless, but was, at last, living in a room in the very place where I work. For those of you who don't know, I work in a transitional housing facility for the homeless mentally ill. In addition to twenty shelter beds, we also have 30 single rooms -- tiny little rooms with beds and sinks and that's about it. Bathrooms and kitchens are shared. Yuck.

So, there I was, in my dream, having moved all my stuff into my new room, feeling finally relieved to have a place. So relieved, I didn't have the slightest inclination to freak out about the fact that I was living in a dirty, crappy homeless shelter. Weird.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

..perhaps there are freedoms in those so-called 'mental illnesses' and homeless states that are asking for attention and to be lived.... perhaps there is wildness, abandon, expression, directness, freedom.........

perhaps there is something important about being housed in a place where unexpected behaviors are the norm, where boundaries are stepped over, where rules are broken and relating is sometimes an unpredictable and labile experience...

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home