Saturday, June 24, 2006

my kinda day

It is soooooooo hot outside! It's going to be 94 degrees today! And I am sooooooo happy about it! For at least a few brief and shining days here in the Pacific Northwest, I get to enjoy the kind of summer heat I'm used to as a displaced Southerner. The only thing missing is the humidity. And the sound of cicadas. And frogs. And a big, fat swimming pool.

Speaking of pool, SK and I went to Mirror Lake yesterday and had a lovely time. The water was a tad too chilly for swimming, but we sat on rocks with our feet in the lake for hours, chatting and eating our picnic lunch and having a lovely time. We saw a newt swimming through the water! It was the coolest thing, I wish I had a picture to share. It moved so gracefully through the water with it's little legs against its body and it's long tail rippling behind it. Every few inches it would stop and put its legs out and hover a moment, then it would swim off again. It was really gorgeous, with a brown top and bright orange belly we could barely see. I wanted to pick it up and hold it, just to study it closer, but I wouldn't have even tried. I hate to terrorize the fauna just to satisfy my curiousity.

Today is now a hot, shimmery question mark flashing before me -- I have no idea what we're going to end up doing but whatever we choose, sweating will be an inevitable biproduct because, did I mention, it's hot! Yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home