Saturday, August 12, 2006

i heart george clooney

I spent most of my day working on the paper I'm rewriting. After hours and hours of explaining the tort of negligence and the development of medical malpractice law and the reasonably prudent person standard (sound familiar?), my brain was fried and I was desperate for some entertainment. So what did I do? I walked down to the Hollywood Video a few blocks from my house and got myself my first ever video store membership.

Yeah. I know. First ever. I've managed all these years just using other people's memberships, which has been fine because I only generally want to watch movies when I'm hanging out with other people and those other people tend to have memberships. However, tonight, with SK gone and my brain totally fried, nothing sounded better than a nice rental. Because I've never had my own membership, I've also never gone into a video store all by myself to rent any movie I wanted, all for me. I've always gone with someone else (or with someone else in mind) and there was always some kind of compromise. Even when I got to pick, I always felt worried that my choice would annoy or disappoint whoever else was going to watch it. So, it felt pretty nice, pretty liberating, to walk around the store picking out things I really wanted to see without a second thought about anybody else.

And what did I choose? Quite a random selection. Good Night and Good Luck, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Breakfast on Pluto, which is about some English drag queens as far as I can tell. It looks colorful. I brought them all home, whipped myself up some *awesome* bean and cheese dip to eat with tortillas and watched Good Night and Good Luck and oh my god, what a great movie! And oh my god, George Clooney wrote and directed and starred in it!! (Ok, so he *co*starred in it, whatever.)

I felt the first stirrings of love for George Clooney when he appeared as the mulleted handy-man on my favorite '80s show Facts of Life. He was the unlikely love-interest of Nancy McKeon's character Jo Polnachek (people of Poland, forgive my spelling), which had an unsettling yet titillating effect on me because Jo was so obviously a lesbian and in love with Blaire. I was, in turn, in love with Jo and, at the same time, modeling my life and personality after her. Introduce George Clooney to the mix, with his boyish charm and his dykey mullet and, well, I guess I was just confused all around. But whatever, it was a yummy sort of confusion. And now George is all grown up. Gone is the mullet. Gone is the bad '80s tv show. Gone is Jo Polnachek. George is making intense, serious movies about the pressing issues of the day and he's so awesome I want to lick him!

Ok, now I have to go watch Harry Potter. Just thought I'd share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home