Tuesday, September 19, 2006

deafening silence

I sent out that email countering my family's ridiculous, anti-immigrant message and braced myself for a negative response. I was nervous every time I opened my email yesterday, but got nothing regarding my message. I sent that thing to over twenty people, mostly family, and I expected at least one person would write back and say "what's up, commie?" But nothing. Now I think I know why.

I just noticed the copy I sent myself sitting in my in-box and noticed that the subject line is so similar to the original, people may not realize it isn't the same message just forwarded on. In my family, a lot of these types of messages get bounced around all over and I often get multiple copies from several different relatives. What if they all got my message and assumed I was just forwarding it on again because I liked it so much?!? That would suck. They probably wouldn't even bother to open it and they'd never see my clever come-back or realize that I didn't agree with them.

I'm pretty disappointed, but doing anything else to call attention to it at this point seems a little over-the-top. I'll just have to make a note: the next time I'm sending out a big, breathtaking retaliation against some of my family's bigoted, fucked-up stuff, I'll have to be sure the subject line clearly indicates that I'm sending something different than the same stupid message. Augh, technology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home