Sunday, November 19, 2006

drinks with waspy

Four o'clock drinks with Waspy today yielded fifty pounds of bar study materials, free of charge, to use in lieu of the bar prep course. It was fun to hang out with Waspy who is more relaxed now that school is over. See, I have proof now that law school is bad for your health and your personality. I'm looking forward to entering my own recovery period starting March 1st, 2007.

Hobo's, an upscale piano bar owned and frequented by middle-aged gay men, was swarming with old dykes tonight, highly unsual. Waspy and I raised our eyebrows at each other about it, but then we learned the occasion. Eight-minute ladies dating. A woman from the flock finally came over to our table, apologizing profusely, because she thought we'd been left out. "Oh, we didn't come for that," we said in unison. She looked back and forth between us, "Oh, you two are together."

It was like the kind of ridiculous mix-up that would happen on a bad episode of Will and Grace. We laughed and I explained that we weren't together, but that we were "separately coupled" and still not interested in eight-minute dating. The woman chatted with us a minute and explained that there was quite an age-spread among the ladies tonight, the oldest lady being 74. Wow! A 74 year old lesbian showed up at Hobo's tonight to do eight-minute dating! I guess she doesn't have time to waste on, say, twenty-minute dating, or, god-forbid, two-hour dating! Good for her, though. I hope she finds a nice lady and settles down.

Meanwhile, I'm home now and it's time to get to work on the nano novel. I had a wild spurt of inspiration last night and wrote for nearly four hours. I doubt I'll match that rate of productivity tonight, but I've got to try and catch up, there are only eleven days left and I've got 17,000 words left to write. Wish me luck.

2 Comments:

Blogger limpy99 said...

I completely blew off my bar study classes and just read the books. Passed the bar with the equivalant of a "D". 12 years later I could give a shit about the grade; the only thing that matters is passing it.

10:55 AM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

Amen, brother. Repeat after me: "Minimum standard of competency." That's all it takes.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home