Tuesday, February 27, 2007

exchange of the day

I'm sure I'll write more, over time, about this bar exam experience, because it is really bizarre, but for now I'll share this one exchange that says a lot about it all.

I sat down in my seat this morning next to this woman who looked about fifty, with long hippie hair and a long hippie blanket wrapped around herself. She was chatting to the man next to her and at some point she asked him what the schedule for the day would be. She guessed and he guessed and they were both waaaaay off in their guesses.

So I said, "The first part is the 90 minute performance test. Then they'll give us the first set of three essays, 35 minutes each. Then we'll have lunch and come back for the last two sets of three essays, for a total of nine essays all day."

Why did I tell her that? Because that was the exact schedule of the day. What did she do? She stared at me for a very long time and then she said "Whatever." And turned away! WHAT DO YOU MEAN "WHATEVER?"

It was so flippant and unanticipated, I started wondering if I'd really said what I thought I'd said or if maybe my delusional mind had slipped in something really fucked up. I wondered if maybe I'd said, "And then, after lunch, there will be topless mud-wrestling." Or, "And then, after the essays, I'm going to kick you in the face."

Anyway, the rest of my interactions with her were relatively normal and she never seemed to notice that saying "whatever" like that was weird. So there you go. Maybe I'm the weird one. Who knows.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a rude woman! People are so weird.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way rude. But what kind of weirdo wears a blanket to a bar exam? It's soooo forty years ago.

:)

Good luck for tomorrow -- and pamper yourself when it's over! Tomorrow is the faster day (I finished about an hour early, and could just leave) but it's harder to walk away from. Good wine and chocolate will make it much better!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Whatever. ;)

Steve~

10:00 AM  
Blogger Dharma said...

I'm thinking (I am nothing if not a generous libra) that she and the gentleman were engaged in massive denial and you injected waaaaay too much reality.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home