Wednesday, March 14, 2007

tea, anyone?



Someday, I want to have a samovar kind of life. Somehow, everything I read lately mentions the use of a samovar. They're all over The Brothers Karamazov, they were in the Persepolis books about Iran, and I saw several in Joe Sacco's Palestine (which I finally finished).

It's not just that I want a samovar. I want a samovar kind of life. The kind where you sit around all day with a lot of people, drinking cup after cup of tea and talking-talking-talking. I mean, I wouldn't want that *every* day, but I'd love to have a reason to clap my hands together, encourage my guests to take a seat, and exclaim, "Ok then! I'll go fire up the samovar!"

That would be sweet.

2 Comments:

Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

of course, the capitalist in me thinks maybe it would be cool to open a teahouse that features the samovar and encourages guests to linger around the samovars that could be arranged around the room, surrounded by comfortable pillows, etc. goes well with the houka phenomenon here in portland. hmmm...

11:10 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

I lead a tupperware kind of life.

It's not quite as romantic. ;)

Steve~

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home