Friday, December 26, 2008

hibernation

Today I dug my car out for the first time in about a week and a half. It wasn't so bad really, since it's starting to melt. I drove Mera to work and now I'm back at home, just me and the dog, until it's time to go back and pick Mera up at 3:30.

All this snow intensifies my desire to hibernate. I don't want to drag myself to the bus stop every day and work for 8.5 hours then drag myself back in the cold and the slush. I don't want to the snow to melt, I want it to keep snowing more and more and more. In fact, I don't even want the sun to shine, I want the clouds to blanket the sky so thickly the sun can barely squeak any light through.

All this snow makes me want to go live in Scandanavia. For Christmas, Mera bought me a book by Knut Hamsun called Growth of the Soil. Unfortunately, Knut Hamsun was a Nazi sympathizer, and that makes me sad inside. But he's a fantastic existentialist/pantheistic sort of writer and I really enjoy him a lot. Growth of the Soil is about a man who treks alone through a mountain pass in Norway and settles down to tame the land and make a little nook of comfort for himself well within the arctic circle.

I want to do that. But Mera and the dog can come too. And I'd like to make sure I had plenty of books and a wi-fi signal. I guess I could buy some really fancy satellite receiver for internet...? Or something. That would be pretty awesome.

In an effort to satisfy some small part of that urge to hibernate, I have taken off today and Monday. Add yesterday, which was Christmas, and that's five days off in a row. Bliss. I just wish it was still snowing.

2 Comments:

Blogger stumptown dreamer said...

Oh RPP, that's really touching (not the part about the Nazi sympathizer!!) but that going inside, into the dark places, finding comfort and recluse.... thanks for writing about your time off and hibernation dreaming... happy new year to you and Mera..

11:33 PM  
Blogger roro said...

I hear you about the snow. I too enjoy the dark, snowy days the most - until I have to take the dog out and fall on my ass multiple times, narrowly avoiding some other dog's ass-produce. Why does "snow" mean "dog shit free-for-all" for some people?

Hope your week was blissful - happy New Year!

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home