Tuesday, February 21, 2006

more thoughts on lent

So, I've been doing a little research on lent. Turns out, the fast is 40 days because Jesus went into the wilderness to fast and pray for "40 days and 40 nights" to prepare for his ministry after he was baptized by John the Baptist. That's when he was posed three temptations by the devil. The first temptation, coming on the heels of the 40 day fast, was essentially "make yourself something to eat." Jesus, of course, made short work of the devil and his temptations.

Then, after that, he went down off the mountain and started amassing disciples. He ran across Simon/Peter and Andrew, who were fishing, and he said "follow me and I will make you fishers of men." Pretty soon after that, he was teaching multitudes, and to the multitudes one day he taught what are now known as the beatitudes. "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth."

I used to be a Christian. Mormon, in fact. And, looking all this up in my handy little Bible (white, faux-leather cover -- I've had it since I was 4) I see little blue check-marks by all the beatitudes (Matthew Chapter 5, Verses 3-11, basically) -- the check-marks were made by my stepfather and indicate that I had been assigned to memorize these verses at some point. Fortunately, I think the beatitudes are nice and don't hold my stepfather's check-marks against them.

While I'm quoting scripture and am in the neighborhood, I dig this, Verses 38-39 "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite the on they right cheek, turn to him the other also." That's Jesus talking, folks. At least, Christians believe that's Jesus talking. If more Christians listened to Jesus, the world would be in better shape.

Here's another nugget, verse 42: "Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away." Or how 'bout verses 43-44: "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy nieghbor and hate thy enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."

I should'a been a preacher.

See, people. I'm no Christian, but that Jesus was a pretty good guy. Too bad so many of his so-called followers appear to be so woefully ignorant of his teachings.

Now I'm feeling even more inspired to go into the "wilderness" to fast and pray for 40 days and 40 nights. It seemed to work for Jesus...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home