Wednesday, April 05, 2006

trilliums, banana slugs, and... a meteorite?

Three strange things I saw today: (because I still love to quantify!)

1.) The path from the softball parking lot to the law school, which is technically on land that mostly belongs to the Tryon Creek National Forest, or Park, or Nature Preserve or whatever it is, is *littered* now with trilliums. Probably the plural of trillium is trillia, but that's too much. I can't bring myself to type it seriously. So, trilliums -- gorgeous, three-petaled, white flowers with three leaves and crazy yellow inner bits (I can never remember which are the stamens and which are the pistils...) -- awesome flowers. Yet. Illegal to pick. Endangered, I guess. So even though there are about a million on the way betwen my car and my class, I will resist the urge to whip out my tiny blue Swiss Army knife and slice through a few of their fat stalks. They don't age well once they're cut anyway. I learned that last year. Around the same time I learned it was illegal to cut them... so... there you go.

2.) Something else on the path? My first giant, Oregon banana slug of the season. How can you adequately describe a technicholor, mammoth, spotted *slug* to someone who's never actually seen one?? They don't look real. They're definitely the kind of thing that could only grow in a temperate rainforest. Welcome to Oregon.

3.) Ok, so, I swear to god I saw a meteorite on my way home from school tonight. I was on 405, about to cross the Fremont bridge, watching the sky, which was this gorgeous, just past setting sun, deep blue, dusky color, when I noticed a sparkling green light in the sky. There was some stuff between me and the light (like parts of the bridge, I think, maybe an overpass) but when the way was cleared again, I saw it continue to fall till it burnt out. Looked a bit like a lone firework, falling out of the sky. It was cool.

And that's all the inarticulate news I've got for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home