Saturday, September 23, 2006

word of the day

fulcrum

Main Entry: ful·crum
Pronunciation: 'ful-kr&m, 'f&l-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural fulcrums or ful·cra /-kr&/
Etymology: Late Latin, from Latin, bedpost, from fulcire to prop -- more at BALK
1 a : PROP; specifically : the support about which a lever turns b : one that supplies capability for action
2 : a part of an animal that serves as a hinge or support

I like this word a lot. It came up in a therapy session I had yesterday and I wanted to look into it a little more deeply for what it could tell me about the process I was unfolding when it came up. I especially like the 1:b definition -- "one that supplies capability for action."

Then, last night, I had the strangest dream. I was in a museum, a vast, cavernous space that seemed completely empty, but as I walked through, I noticed there were narrow, floor to ceiling panels (and the ceilings were immensely high, so these panels were very, very long) that were all through the room, but they were constructed out of a special material so that they only became visible when viewed from a certain angle. Pretty cool. Even cooler, the screens were like windows into the night sky -- they showed live images of stars as seen, presumeably, from Earth. I stood and watched and noticed a satellite passing. Each panel showed a different slice of the sky and, as I said, the room was full of these panels.

It was an amazing dream -- the magic of the vast space that seemed empty at first but instead was full of futuristic computer screens stretching to the ceiling, designed to be invisible from most vantages; the view of the sky, the stars, in long strips, as if we were all watching for something. In the dream, we were studying the stars for clues to a suspicious death on Earth -- a boy had drowned and we expected the stars would help us understand why. Significant, though, because my session yesterday had a lot to do with imagining the sky, the stars, a kind of fulcrum between earth and heaven, a portal between one world and another. The dream really amplified those feelings. It was pretty cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home