Monday, April 02, 2007

argh

Just finished The Squid and the Whale. Wow. Every moment of that movie was uncomfortable. Every. Single. Moment. Yet... it was a good movie.

Difficult, though, because the Jeff Daniels character is so (in my opinion) utterly unsympathetic, I was actually excited when (spoiler alert) he keeled over with an apparent heart attack. My stepfather was a big enough asshole, I don't find them entertaining to watch. I don't have the distance required to appreciate a condescending, grandiose, self-important father-figure. Gag me with a spoon.

But, like I said, it was still somehow a good movie. Teetering on the edge of being too painfully familiar, which helps make it both a well made, thought provoking movie and an uncomfortable experience, all at the same time. Hmm.

I'm still up in the air about it. Anybody else have any thoughts?

2 Comments:

Blogger educand - said...

I agree that it was uncomfortable from beginning to end, but I didn't find any transcendent truth in the discomfort, unfortunately. I simply didn't like it very much.

6:49 AM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

i agree, i didn't find any transcendent truth in the discomfort either. i want to say it's a "good" movie b/c it documented those lives and that divorce with such painful precision and realism. but as a *story* -- maybe i'm too biased, but a really good story needs dynamic, sympathetic characters and the jeff daniels character was just too much of an asshole. i never saw any redeeming qualities at all, and i was just as uncomfortable with him on the screen as i ever was whenever my own stepfather was around. yuck yuck yuck. and yet... the kids were great, the youngest especially. and laura linney... i'm still on the fence.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home