Wednesday, May 09, 2007

pomp and circumstance

First of all, thanks to everyone who put a congrats at the end of my last message. You guys are sweet and I'm very thankful for you.

Second: here's how it all went. I got up this morning and did it all like a big girl. Had a shower, put product in my hair, blow-dried it, made myself look as presentable as possible. This kind of excessive preparation is a daily routine for a lot of people but, personally, I'd like to limit it to special occasions. Like, perhaps once a year...? I guess we'll have to see what happens.

Then I drove out to Lake Oswego to meet up with a lawschool friend we'll call BeeGee, the sweetest, tallest, gangliest guy you'll ever meet, who suggested we carpool. Turns out, BeeGee's whole office was planning to go down to the swearing in, even the secretary and paralegal, just for the heck of it. So we all hopped into an obscenely huge SUV and headed off to Salem.

The ceremony itself was completely not memorable. All I remember is that we were at the back of the auditorium and the sound of children (of the 3 and under variety) was all I could really hear. They seemed to be calling to each other from across the room, their little cries and mews echoing off the walls. The whole place sounded like a daycare center.

Anyway, then there was the oath. All I remember is something about upholding the constitution, the rest is just a blur. I was so focused on hearing what he said and repeating it back that I didn't have a chance to really think about what I was saying. For all I know, I swore to turn over my firstborn child to the Oregon State Bar... fortunately that won't be a problem.

Then we filed our information cards with the bar and got our temporary certificates of admission to the bar, which is exciting, and then we all headed over to the flimsy reception. No champagne, no wine, no beer -- not even coffee or tea. Iced water. That was it. And some snacks. In my opinion, disappointing, though I'm sure I would've loved it if I was still a Mormon.

One thing I can say: BeeGee's office people were really nice and fun and even though I ate lunch out with them and drank two margaritas with them after we came back to town, I somehow magically didn't pay a dime. Hanging out with lawyers can be good sometimes. That's especially nice when you're still technically a social worker making peanuts at the old job you love but will have to leave.

So, that was it. Any questions? Anyone need a lawyer?

2 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

i think as long as you remember the constitution, it's ok that the rest is a blur ;-) congratulations!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you!!!
wonderful to read about your day


more soon
sk

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home