Saturday, May 05, 2007

welcome to your rebel colony, no hard feelings

I don't think I'm quite becoming an anglophile just yet (having an English girlfriend and liking some English television shows probably doesn't qualify me) but I have to say, I think the Queen is really adorable.

Maybe it's just because Helen Mirren portrayed her as such a proper badass in "The Queen." Or maybe it's just my deep and abiding love of powdery little old ladies (which, itself, stems from my deep and abiding love of my own two grandmothers). Whatever it is, I find I have a funny little warm-spot in my heart for this little old lady who happens to be the Queen of England.

Doesn't she look so cheeky?? Maybe I'm projecting, but I think she looks quite mischevious in this picture. She's here in America for the Kentucky Derby and I hope we don't embarrass ourselves too much. I remember this one time when she came to America and toured a housing project for some reason, a woman ran up and gave her a big, fat bear-hug. And, uh, that's not really how you're supposed to greet the Queen. Ever. No matter who you are.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. How do you Canucks who read my blog (and you couple of Aussies too while I'm at it) feel about Her Majesty?? I mean, to me she's just a cute lady from another country, but she's actually *your* Queen. That's pretty incredible.

6 Comments:

Blogger zuhn said...

We don't consider her our Queen even though her face is on all our coins. Or at least, *I* don't. Maybe it's the lingering resentment of being part of her colony and then being rejected when they left my motherland (HK).

Seriously though, she's kind of not a big deal here. Her predecessors like Victoria and Elizabeth I have stuff named after them but II, not so much.

If you're talking adorable royal ladies though, I always thought the Queen Mum was cute as a button.

10:34 AM  
Blogger stumptown dreamer said...

my grandmother, who lived through world war two in london, absolutely loved the queen because of her involvement and participation in the war effort. i have always wondered about those months when Lizzie drove and repaired trucks in the heavily bombed LOndon streets, wondered how they were for her, pre-monarch life.

and yes, she is connected to the germans, but that always seems a slightly too smart response to their lineage since she was child of a greek-anglo father also. i guess in her defence she is really multicultural in the most upper class snobbish worlds - and anyway, most of the royal families of Europe are in-bred and share relatives....

i think also growing up with her, and my grandmother and the general system that really just appreciates this woman, she is such a deep symbol of something patriotic - like the US folks flag or something you are given to 'represent' your country. we have the queen who we sing to and praise, while you have your flag.......

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you're descended from Plantagenets, they're all German upstarts.

Still, I'm with Diderot/Meslier on monarchy.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Just saw "The Queen" this weekend on DVD. Great movie. Makes me wish I could take off this week to head up to DC for a possible run-in with the queen since it's so close. But no luck. Yes, however, I do think she kind of rocks. If I were queen of anything, I'd be completely insufferable. So, I have to give her credit for managing dignity and not constantly announcing her queenliness as I would.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... you can disrespect your president, but please... don't disrespect the Queen.

The Queen is a monarch... Not something to which you're accustomed.

While Queen Elizabeth is more of a figure head... she does a great job at it!

Please keep your comments positive regarding the Queen!!

9:09 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

dear "canadian money advisor" (if that is your *real* name...) -- if you'll kindly reread my post you'll notice that i said i liked the queen. but thanks for stopping by to tell me what to do. unsolicited advice from strangers is always warmly recieved here! have a great day!

*rpp*

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home