Tuesday, June 12, 2007

tuesday fantasy girlfriend arrives on the right day!

I watched Being John Malkovitch for the first time this weekend. Wow. That's one weird movie. And really, bravo to any movie that can show me an even LESS attractive version of Cameron Diaz. Jesus. The one thing I really enjoyed about the movie was the way it questioned the boundaries of identity. Am I really "me?" What does it mean to be me? And what does it mean to fall in love with someone, but only when she's looking out at you through somebody else's eyes?

But what I *really* liked about this movie was the fact that (spoiler alert) in the end, the girl gets the girl. All movies should end like that. The movie also reminded me how much I like Katherine Keener. She's a tricky one. Sometimes, as in Being John Malkovitch, she seems like the scary, slightly trashy neighbor who smokes too many cigarettes and yells at her kids then flirts with your husband at the block party. Something like that. But in other movies, like Forty Year Old Virgin (what a shockingly awesome movie), she's so sweet and warm and real feeling, she makes me feel all gooey inside. Here's a shot of her from that last one.
See what I mean? So super cute.

Now how 'bout this one? Does she or does she not appear to be modeling cable knit sweaters for a JC Penny's catalogue? She does. But I don't care, because she's cute. I understand she also plays Harper Lee in Capote. Harper Lee, in case you were not aware, wrote my favorite book of all time "To Kill a Mockingbird." So... I think it will be very cool to watch my fantasy girlfriend pretending to be the mysterious and reclusive author of my favorite book. I wonder if her Southern accent is up to snuff, b/c that's a deal breaker for me. A poorly rendered Southern accent will pretty much kill my buzz immediately.

Ok, so anyway, that's my somewhat lackluster Tuesday Fantasy Girlfriend for you: KATHERINE KEENER. Yay.

4 Comments:

Blogger stumptown dreamer said...

baby!!
she just got single.
she and dermot mulrohney are going the divorce direction:-)))

she is gorgeous.

great choice.

:-)))
sk

12:04 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

I'm with SD up there. KK is so not lackluster. She's definitely high on my fantasy list.

1:44 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

melinda -- i didn't mean *she* was lackluster, i just meant my post was. i wasn't feeling as enthusiastic about it as usual...

12:53 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I love Kathrine Keener. So is fantastic in everything she is in, but I really loved her in Your Friends and Neighbors.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home