Tuesday, June 05, 2007

making lemons into lemonaid

Good Afternoon! As you might remember from my last post, I got stuck working a graveyard shift last night, after already working my usual swing shift. Now, you might think that would be the suckiest thing on the planet, but as I mentioned in my last post, it's really not. There are lots of perks, one of which is being allowed to ditch your next shift. Yay!!!

But there is yet another secret, hidden bonus. This one's a little more amorphous, a little harder to explain. Basically, when you only get four hours of sleep (on a couch in a homeless shelter) you spend your whole next day feeling really loopy. At least *I* do, I don't know about you.

First of all, my timing is all thrown off and I don't really know what day it is, or even what *time* of day it is. Secondly, I'm sleepy which makes me feel silly. Thirdly, I have a southern accent when I'm tired, so that's fun. And finally... well... there is no finally. All those things add up to make me feel a little bit tipsy all day. And since it's not a regular day off, it has that bonus, holiday type feeling. It's kind of like an acid trip: it's weird, and dislocated and it lasts about 12 hours, during which time you can't really do anything besides try and entertain yourself.

So, in order to take advantage of that feeling, I went out to lunch with my friend Leo. I love Leo. Sometimes Leo makes me crazy, but sometimes she is the sweetest, best friend ever, and that's how she was today. We debriefed about the Dolly Parton Hoot Night, and we debriefed about the BBQ at her house in honor of her girlfriend's parents, and she told me she's thinking about applying for a job as a librarian in Cairo. That's Cairo, Egypt, folks. And I think she's crazy, but hey, good for her, she should go for it.

Anyway, now I'm home, still feeling goofy and looking for something to do for the next few hours until the sleep deprivation catches up with me and I totally crash. Any suggestions?

2 Comments:

Blogger zuhn said...

If I had read this earlier, I would have told you to do what I did and head off for drinks at 3 in the afternoon.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

personally I love the running on fumes high....makes things seem reasonable that wouldn't, like cleaning the toilet at 5:30 in the morning...however, I wouldn't suggest that ;)

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home