Friday, December 09, 2005

the future's so bright

I've noticed a disturbing trend recently: people with professional legal training (J.D.s) who are licensed to practice law and yet are turning to strange and menial schemes to pay the bills. Two examples: mog, who passed the bar earlier this year and was a gainfully employed independent contractor (lawyer) until she quit recently. Now what's she doing? Babysitting. She also applied at starbucks, but I don't know if anything's come of it yet. Another example: a professor at my school, who is actually some kind of associate dean. She makes jewelry (hippie beads with a slightly upscale sensibility) -- she's having a x-mas jewelry sale tomorrow afternoon and many of her students are invited.

When I graduate next December (after I pay for the bar prep course and the bar) I will be about $100,000 in debt for student loans alone. And once the 6-month grace period on those loans expires, I will be expected to pay about $800 a month to various student-loan holders, probably for the rest of my life. To say nothing of the monthly minimums I'll have to pay on all my credit cards. I'm *living* on credit right now since my student loan money has nearly run out and I have to somehow make it through until the next check comes mid-January. The possibility that I could find myself babysitting and hawking jewelry next year just to be able to pay for my "worthless" J.D. is extremely disturbing to me. I'd rather stand on a corner with a cardboard sign: "Will Litigate For Food (God Bless)" What the fuck?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home