Sunday, December 25, 2005

word of the day 3

I'm reading this awesome book (with an admittedly dramatic title) by a woman I used to know when I lived in Durham and worked for the publishing company. Long story on that, but I had a huge crush on this woman and I thought she was a fabulous writer, which she is. So she's got this novel out now, her first. Her name is Lucy Corin and the novel is called Everyday Psychokillers -- don't be put off by that name, the book is great. Anyway, reading it inspired this word of the day. Because this is the word I think of when I think of her writing:

fecund

One entry found for fecund.
Main Entry: fe·cund
Pronunciation: 'fe-k&nd, 'fE-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French fecond, from Latin fecundus -- more at FEMININE
1 : fruitful in offspring or vegetation : PROLIFIC
2 : intellectually productive or inventive to a marked degree
synonym see FERTILE
- fe·cun·di·ty /fi-'k&n-d&-tE, fe-/ noun

Thanks, as always, to Merriam Webster's online dictionary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home