Tuesday, October 03, 2006

me thinks i didth protest too much

Ok, so that double shift thing wasn't so bad. I got to sleep on a couch in the loft all night, I got to see SK this morning when she came to work and since I worked graveyard last night, I won't have to work swing tonight so I'll get to spend the night with SK, which is a huge treat in the middle of the week. Yay! Also, I get a $25 bonus for working a double shift. More yay! All in all, it's a win-win.

Of course, I didn't exactly sleep *well* on that couch, but I slept better than I usually do. (Over the years, I've had many occasions to try and sleep in the loft, with varying degrees of success.) And it still sucks that the brain-damaged hippie is so irresponsible. This happens pretty frequently but we're so desperate to keep our graveyard staff nothing is ever done about it. If I was a no-call/no-show more than once or twice at the max, I'm pretty sure I'd get canned. But not this guy. The boss-man is afraid he won't be able to find a replacement and he's probably right.

If the company would just offer a pay-differential for graveyard things would be much better. As it is, there's no incentive to work that shift other than the natural desire to work at night and sleep in the day. And you know... regarding people for whom that is a "natural desire" -- they make a motley labor pool, and that's being diplomatic. We end up with brain-damaged hippies who can't hack it at regular jobs and we have no leverage when it comes time to crack down on their fuck-ups. And that's a price the whole team pays... or at least that's a price the suckers who have to stay and work a double shift pay. Suckers like me. *Sigh*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I much prefer to work nights, and I think I'd be crazy not to take at least some advantage of the fact that I'm willing to work the so-called shit shifts. But you're right, no-call/no-shows are never, ever cool.

10:20 AM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

sorry, no offense intended, i promise.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home