Friday, September 29, 2006

indian summer

It is a gorgeous day here in Stumptown. I mean. Gorgeous. Like, gorgeous enough to use exclamation marks. Like this: !!!!!

The sky is vividly blue, the leaves are starting to turn, they're swirling a stark yellow against the grey pavement. It's hot! It smells like the sweet beginnings of decay. I'm happy. I spent the morning helping SK move into our friend Dutch's basement. Nice basement. Well-finished basement. Big basement. But basement nonetheless. We are both, now, basement dwellers. For the winter at least.

But solo basement dwellers. Meaning: I have no roommates and she, for the most part, has no roommates either. She will share the kitchen and some living space with Dutch upstairs. But she's got a bathroom and a huge downstairs space all to herself. No more roommate in the bathroom. No more roommate's weird energy sliming all over the common spaces. No more roommate awkwardly jockeying for the couch and the dvd player.

Solo basement dwellers also means: we're not living together. We are not now dwelling in the same basement. Which is sad for both of us, but for slightly different reasons. I made a committment to myself to live alone for at least a year after the break-up with CB. I also made a verbal agreement with my land-people that I would stay in my little basement for at least 12 months and even though it's not on paper and my lease is only month-to-month, I didn't want to break that agreement.

So I'm staying in my basement and SK is now staying in her basement and we will spend the next few months pining away for each other until the time is right. The frustrating thing for me is not knowing when and where and how the time will be right. I will maintain this horrendous schedule (working 4-midnight four days a week and going to school and doing homework in almost all of my freetime) until the end of February. Then I'll be done and, in theory, I could then start looking for a place with SK.

However, SK and I both have loose and ever-shifting plans to travel in the Spring. She wants to go to see her family in England and I want to go to Spain. Eventually we will both end up in the same country, but when? And which country? Probably the US, at first, but for how long? Who knows. And why am I boring everyone with this giant rehash of my current, semi-long-term plight? I'll be quiet now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

!, I say. !

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home