Monday, March 19, 2007

don't worry, the giant parrot will protect you


SK and I spent the whole weekend walking through Forest Park. Three days, three long walks. I took so many pictures of mossy trees, ferns and lovely trillium flowers, I can hardly stand it. Of all those gorgeous pictures of the woods, I thought I would share with you, instead, the most baffling feature of the Forest Park experience: the giant parrot.

I can't remember if we ever learned the true story, but the most viable theory is that these giant birds (there are others, elsewhere in the park) were "installed" to deter... other predator birds? Something like that. Anyway, it's obviously ridiculous. My friend Leo never tires of telling me that the Pacific Northwest is a temperate rainforest, however, not the type of rainforest teeming with parrots. Couldn't they have put up a huge, wooden version of an indigenous falcon? Or an owl? Whatever.

Meanwhile, there was another anti-war rally in Portland and I didn't go. I went to the first one in 2003 and I went to the one last year. So, I guess I'll go every three years. Wake me up in 2009...

3 Comments:

Blogger LeLo said...

These were mentioned in an article in The O recently...guerilla artists, creating art in real life spaces when you're least expecting it.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I don't know too much, well anything really, about the climate in Portland, but how do the parrots survive there?

9:00 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

lelo: ohhhhhh, guerilla art. great. i wish they'd guerilla something on a building or in a street and leave the park alone.

zoe: uh... they're made of wood, so, they stand up to the elements pretty good and they don't need to eat... as far as i know...

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home