Friday, April 13, 2007

a little something special

Ok. Please pretend the weird line through the top is a really cool, completely intended effect. Now. What do you think of this gorgeous columbine that's blooming in the little pot at the top of my front steps? I think it's awesome.

Today my friend Leo called me up and invited me to brunch at a newish breakfast place over on Mississippi called Gravy. For the first time in my life, I was enthusiastic about trying a new place rather than pissy and stubborn. How refreshing. And smart, too, because this newish Gravy place was really, really good. The selection was great, they offered tofu as a substitute in all the scrambles WITHOUT EXTRA CHARGE, and the portions were huge and moderately priced. I will happilly go back. SK, I can't wait for you to come back so we can go to Gravy instead of the Vita for a change.

In other news, I've been (ab)using my new TV and DVD privileges to enjoy this hilarious old English sitcom called To the Manor Born. It's about this woman whose family has owned this old English manor with a thousand acres for at least 400 years, but who had to sell the manor when her husband died and left her bankrupt. With what little money left her, she bought the "lodge," a tiny cottage at the end of the manor's drive. She continues to live there with her ever loyal old butler, still acting like the lady of the manor, and having lots of hilarious run-ins with the likeable nouveau riche new owner of the manor, a handsome man who immigrated from Czechoslovakia as a young boy and made his fortune in the grocery business.

Watching To the Manor Born (which SK watched as a teenager like I watched Facts of Life) helps me understand what SK means when she claims that watching American television is, for her, an exercise in cultural anthoropolgy. What she can possibly learn from the Hugh Hefner/Playboy Bunny reality show is beyond me, but when I watch this old, English sitcom, I find I'm learning all these minute yet significant nuances of English culture that I never would've imagined, especially concerning the English upper class/landed gentry/whatever these folks would be. It's a learning experience.

Now I believe I'll cook myself some supper and get ready for my DVD marathon: I've got four out from the library and they all look pretty good. I've got About a Boy (score! It has Toni Collette!), Whale Rider, Match Point and, the one I (shamefully) look forward to watching first: 40 Year Old Virgin. I might regret it, but I think it looks funny. I'll keep you posted.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful flower! how pretty. i don't think there's anything wrong with the "special effect"; it is cool.

5:37 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

thanks, i think the flower is awesome. i think the "effect" is unfortunate. i don't want my camera to be broken. :-(

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what kind of programs you have on your computer, but maybe you could try to crop out the edges if they bother you?...i don't know, maybe your computer won't let you.

anyway, it's a beautiful photograph, you must be a great photographer.

2:32 PM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

you are too kind. i am no photographer, but i would like to be able to take lovely pictures. sometimes i do, sometimes i don't.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home